• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late tii fuel tanks

Does anyone sell a replacement fuel tank for a late US tii? All the MVP repops I see say in big letters that they won't fit US cars. My tank is salvageable, but it's getting to the point with time and effort where I might as well just get a new one and be done with it. I'm sure the answer is lol nope, but hey, we live in hope.

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk

I got mine from Walloth Nesch.  Says no US cars 74+, but it fits in my 74 tii.  Of course that's after I had to have a radiator shop turn the filler neck about 10 degrees so it would line up with the hole in the quarter panel.  And I'm not the only one with that issue on the WN tanks.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Posted (edited)

I had similar problems with the fit of the filling hose pipe with the 51L W&N tii tank in my 1974tii.  It bolts in no problem.  I also had a little issue with my stock tii exhaust rubbing against it too.  

It looks like someone has an original tank from BMW in the classified section.  Not sure if it's the right part, but you might want to check it out...

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

7 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I had similar problems with the fit of the filling hose pipe with the 51L W&N tii tank in my 1974tii.  It bolts in no problem.  I also had a little issue with my stock tii exhaust rubbing against it too.  

It looks like someone has an original tank from BMW in the classified section.  Not sure if it's the right part, but you might want to check it out...

Thanks, I saw that. He’s pretty far past my budget right now, but I’ll reach out anyway. 

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk

I ended up just cleaning up my original dented gas tank, repainting it and then reinstalling it instead of trying to make the W&N tank fit.  I still have that W&N tank sitting in a huge box in my garage.  PM me, we might be able to work out a "budget" deal for it.

I just hate dealing with shipping stuff...  Big box

John

BigBox.jpg

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

It was a messy couple days, but I got it solved. Lots of vinegar and scrubbing got us where we needed to go. Thank you all for the help and suggestions!

• Like 1

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk