• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Between the head and distributor housing

Question - is the only thing between the head and the distributor housing the gasket? Does anything go in the area that meets with the open end of the intake rocker arm? See circled areas in both pictures. 

I know there’s a special washer for the outside of the distributor near this area. My question is about the inside. 

I searched on here before posting this question but couldn’t find anything…maybe I’m using incorrect search terms. My Haynes manual has disappeared, too, but not sure if that would have helped with this particular question. IMG_5324.thumb.jpeg.218081e75e83ad5cc5638ef149b4eab1.jpegIMG_5317.thumb.jpeg.1c33cb76c378547d8893adc63c0fe0d8.jpeg

Thanks!

Yes, the intake rocker shaft goes in this hole. It is held in place by the rear top head bolt and is sealed with a gasket and special washer on the distributor housing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

That's the end of the line for the pressured oil and is open to feed the oil pressure sender.

PS your distributor cover needs to have the gasket surfaces cleaner than that for a good seal.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I like to trim the top of that gasket to match the contours of the head, instead of leaving it standing up tall.  It seems like they took a short cut when they made them that way.  I'll bet the originals were cut to fit.  I cut mine in place using an X-Acto knife, after heating the tip and bending it over ninety degrees.  It'd be much easier to do ahead of time.

image.thumb.jpeg.bc3ef706a78e2c14f9ad3e7f96a9faac.jpeg

Side note -- Flange nuts look nice on the clamp.  I added a head-holder to the back side, so it only takes one wrench to adjust it.

092_zpscikkgted.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I made it.  I think I made a post showing the flat piece before bending but I could not find it using the search function.  I did run across an old photo showing the gasket between-the-head-and-distributor-housing before I trimmed it back flush with the castings. 

062.thumb.JPG.c712d92ca7fa76ff91ad5bb1d7644dcb.JPG

This was back when I installed a Pertronix on the 002 distributor that came with the car.  The phasing was off on that installation, so I went back to points/condenser and never looked back.  I also installed a #164 vacuum advance distributor.

It's a simple enough part to make, with a bolt sized hole in the center of a cross shape that's bent to fit the head and the clamp on the housing.  That photo was taken before I was using a flange nut on the clamp.  I also swapped out the original valve cover acorn nuts for acorn flange nuts from an old Volvo at the wrecking yard.

057.thumb.JPG.3fd26fcc98e2f93e3e4747460b0bd6be.JPG  054.thumb.JPG.572f328f6e2b34f17b9bffc43fd7f3d3.JPG

I recently installed a 10mm/8mm wrench on the firewall using a magnet.  Cheap thrills.

IMG_2234.thumb.jpeg.4fabcbb774f6132d4ad93db872ba7743.jpeg

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
Added another photo.
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 6:00 AM, MurphinDC said:

where do I get a head-holder like that?

Murph,

I used a 6mm carriage bolt. The square shoulder under the head can be tapped into the back of the distributor flange to hold it.

I agree with Tom @'76mintgrün'02 ... much easier to use just one wrench. However, I really miss having to adjust the timing now that I have the PerTronix ignition...NOT!

John

IMG_4333.thumb.jpg.ed859a363bcdcc49351ecf4ea6f9b781.jpg

Edited by John76
Wrong size
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just did my gasket and changed to a 123 Distributor with good luck. Mine was leaking oil bad. Someone installed the part without a single washer.  I used some Hylomar and got the correct washers including the thick washer.

1600 miles to The Vintage and not a drop.