• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sanden compressor 5 or 7?

Stumbled across this compressor on cold hose.com. Is 7 better than 5? Same price as the 508 and same shape? 

Sanden 7h15

New Genuine Sanden SD7H15 a/c compressor. A SD7H15 compressor has seven cylinders in comparison to the SD508, SD510 and SD5H14 compressors which only had five cylinders. This compressor has a...

PM me if you need A/C stuff. I am selling my setup. It has all new, never-used parts, except for the evaporator box, which has a new valve. I just came to the conclusion that I can't do a Behr system with a Turbo. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Be careful with the load these will put on your engine...if you have some programmable ECU/ignition you might be able to compensate, but if you are carbs and points the compressor can stall the engine. 

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 7:32 AM, dlacey said:

Be careful with the load these will put on your engine...if you have some programmable ECU/ignition you might be able to compensate, but if you are carbs and points the compressor can stall the engine. 

I’ve got a 74tii with a new 85amp alternator. You think the 7 asks for more than the standard 508? That’s why I posted. Being advertised as a new and improved over the 5…wondered if anyone had tried. 

Edited by Highnote1

Please post what you find out - I'll be adding AC to my tii and if there's a better choice for a compressor I'm interested in knowing. I'm not at that stage yet, plenty of other things to do first to get it on the road, but in Houston AC isn't optional.

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

• 1 month later...

Adding this for future questions. Info from experts that build systems for older bmws. I think I trust this. 

Thanks for reaching out! While the SD7 can most certainly be used (and would share the same bracket, belt, and lines), it uses more horsepower per rotation and *some* variations have a much lower sustained and peak RPM maximum making it not suitable for the M3 or M5.

In addition, given the relatively small system size of the E30 (and other models), the additional tonnage is not necessary or required to reach an optimal cooling performance and the availability/cost of genuine Sanden SD7 compressors has become quite difficult/expensive in the last few years (be aware of Chinese alternatives that are often mislabeled as OEM Sandens).

However, as we continue to iterate our product line, this would be a great future upgrade for the 6-series and 7-series models that have larger system capacities.

Hopefully that's helpful!

• Like 1

The Compressor is not normally the weak spot in adding 2002 AC… Largest coil and fan as will fit.

Edited by BarneyT
  • Like 2

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…