• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Exhaust Hanger Failure...infant mortality

Go to solution Solved by '76mintgrün'02,

6 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I was disappointed in the quality of a Mann air filter I ordered and told the seller so, even though it wasn't their fault.  I thought they should know and also wanted to vent a bit (more).  They said I could send it back, but I said it wasn't worth the hassle/expense and I'd cut my losses.  Then they replied saying they'd issued a full refund and I could keep the filter.  I said thank you and tired to argue, saying I was willing to pay again; but they refused.

If you're going to complain, ask yourself how it will feel if you receive the same treatment.  I'm grateful, but also embarrassed for having been a whiner.

Back to the "why did it fail?" question, I'll repeat my second question, was there a plastic insert in the hanger on the front of the muffler?  If not the weight might be transferred to the back one. 

You might consider ordering two new ones and putting the front hanger in your box of emergency spare parts.

Do you have the transmission/exhaust bracket?

Tom

Bingo!  The plastic insert is missing on the front hanger. 

Thanks!

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Cool.  Do you have the transmission to exhaust bracket?  If so, are the rubberized washers in good shape?  Sometimes they get gooey from oil and you could order fresh ones with your new donut(s).

I'll look when it's on the rack.

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)