• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii engine on bring a trailer

Another Tii KF engine on BAT... recently one sold for $6100.

BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: BMW M10 Engine w/Mechanical Fuel Injection at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #149,176.

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Could be either scenario... would be interesting to see 'under the skin'....

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

It was listed prior on this site for $3500. I contacted the seller while listed. He has no paper work to support the motor being rebuild. Scary to buy something I can’t verify or test. 

It has a round engine mount on the d/s, I don't know when they were changed to the stronger square ones but I think it was before 1973.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, oldbugr said:

It was listed prior on this site for $3500. I contacted the seller while listed. He has no paper work to support the motor being rebuild. Scary to buy something I can’t verify or test. 

Listed back in Oct '23 - a tad more than $3500!

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

It has a round engine mount on the d/s, I don't know when they were changed to the stronger square ones but I think it was before 1973.

My Dec 72 production 73 had a round left (driver's) side engine mount.  And this one, by its serial number is the 201st from the last US roundie tii off the line...shouldn't it have an 008 dizzy?

But yeah, without some documentation as to what's been done to its innards, you're kinda buying a pig in a poke...

mike

• Like 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

5 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Looks like a core engine to me. 

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

But yeah, without some documentation as to what's been done to its innards, you're kinda buying a pig in a poke...

So true and yet…Bid is $2000 with 5 days to go. I just don’t get it.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

...so the core I bought off ePay a few years back for $500 isn't looking like a bad deal, then?

t

priced pistons lately?

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

19 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

That doesn't look like a Tii manifold.

IMG_5884-30328-scaled.jpg?fit=1536%2C2048

+1

The accumulator is post-1973, either a Euro piece — note the un-drilled bosses on the left side (e.g., the boss between runners one and two is drilled for the vacuum limiter valve on 1974 U.S.-spec tii’s) — or an e21 piece. But the rest of the injection system looks correct.

The block, cast June 6, 1973 (“6F” within the raised oval frame  and “73” just outside the raised oval frame) and the E12 head, cast May 1973 (I see 5 “nubs” surrounding ‘73), could well be “engine-mates” since they left the factory. Date-matched blocks and heads grow rarer every day. From an originality perspective, that’s a “Bravo”. But it also makes me think, “Was the original head really good enough to re-use, or was it simply convenient?” This assumes the head came off at the time of the rebuild…

As everyone else has said, without documentation, it’s a pig in a poke. The outward appearance and finish are not those of a high-end rebuild.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

16 hours ago, Mike Self said:

...shouldn't it have an 008 dizzy?

+1

Yes, of course, Mike.

But, today, the 002 “replacement” distributors seem to out-number the original 008’s two to one. I have no idea why. Were a lot of 008’s replaced over the years due to a problem? Why did BMW switch to the 002 as the replacement, and not simply manufacture more 008’s?

No answers here, only questions. 😯

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

7 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Why did BMW switch to the 002 as the replacement, and not simply manufacture more 008’s?

Bosch stopped making the early style distributors in 1974 and made their replacements using the late-style '75-'76 design.  I'm guessing the change was two-fold, in that the new design was more robust and also cheaper to produce.

The distributor on the BaT engine was used on the Ti and the earliest Tii cars, before they switched to the 0231151008 (not to be confused with the 0231180008, which is a vacuum-retard model).  That information was taken from this post.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/123128-2002ti-distributor/?do=findComment&comment=114120

Tom

• Thanks 1