• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3D printed period mudflaps

Posted (edited)

Hey Forum,

Latest 3D print project... period mudflaps.

I do like the look but aint happy to pay the price repro or originals are fetching... and as the Baur is running well and not much to do at the mo' thought I'd look at modeling and printing a set of mudflaps.

Had a very nice Baur owner from USA send me some detailed pictures of his mudflaps, so modeling was doable and printing in a hard flex material.

The mounting fasteners have always struck me as very weird, great that there isn't a need to drill into bodywork but there must be a better fixing design... so looking at that too.

Whilst not for the purist, the first draft is looking good and test fitting the mounting brackets, even the stenciled sprayed BMW logo looks period.

And the irony is that the car never goes out in the wet! :D

IMG_8643.JPG

IMG_8654.JPG

IMG_8662.JPG

IMG_8663.JPG

Edited by 2002FjordBaur
  • Like 9

Impressive!  

Now if only someone would 3D print the rubber seal that goes between the trailing edge of the door glass and the B pillar--the (only) part of the door seal that actually goes bad...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

That's a foam piece, Mike-

and thus not 3d printable as such

(yes, technically, I suppose, you could do something really really tricky with voids in TPU, but)

generic stuff from, of all places, JC Whitney's works just fine.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Steve A. Caceres said:

I'm sold! Those look great! I'll keep an eye out if you make a sale post. 

Buyer:

1) Steve Caceres 

Thanks Steve, not sure if these will be available for a purchase at any stage.. whilst the overall design is close to original later type and from 10 foot they may look original… I have evolved the shape and especially the bizarre fixing brackets. So these they would never pass originality police inspection! 😳

1 hour ago, 2002FjordBaur said:

Thanks Steve, not sure if these will be available for a purchase at any stage.. whilst the overall design is close to original later type and from 10 foot they may look original… I have evolved the shape and especially the bizarre fixing brackets. So these they would never pass originality police inspection! 😳

The originality police will die once my car hits the road... but if you do, I'm in for a set. 😁

• Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 10:22 PM, popovm said:

Would it be easy enough to do chevrons instead of the BMW logo, ala 

WWW.CLASSICCULT.COM

WEGU mud flaps without bracket and mounting parts.

yep, but are the chevrons painted or an embossed graphic... either way an easy form to model in 3D and print...

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 2002FjordBaur said:

yep, but are the chevrons painted or an embossed graphic... either way an easy form to model in 3D and print...

The chevrons on the originals look like an additional piece of white plastic with pins sticking out the back overlayed on the flaps. Either the pins are a snap fit or maybe melted to create a rivet of sorts?

IMG_3947.thumb.jpeg.623356decbc1a744ae1fa5f04d0e6ca0.jpeg

You ended up painting the logo on the finished versions above, right? Paint would be totally fine for a 3D printed repro, IMO. So maybe just your current flap design and with a new paint stencil. If you want an offroad destruction tester, I am planning on doing some rallycross and would happily be of service. 😁 Happy to pay for filament and shipping of a blank non-painted set of flaps. 

Edited by popovm