• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunroof Assembly

Ok, I am getting committed to tearing into my sunroof to get the mechanism working properly.  I have read about as much as I could find and there is one detail I can't resolve.  It has to do with the sunroof sliders in the rear.  There is a small rod that sticks out from the sliders.  I'm not exactly clear what the function the rod plays (maybe to raise/recess the sunroof?).  Plus, there is conflicting information on whether the rod goes between the roof and the sheet metal strap, or outside of it.  I've found two resources that have it different.

Here's a couple of pics of what I am talking about.  And if it makes a difference, I have a 1975.

Thanks, Cris

Sunroof Mechanism.jpg

Sunroof Bracket.jpg

Sunroof Mechanism 2.jpg

I vote Green, otherwise what is the sheet metal spring clip for?

I think this is to ensure the hinge on the rear slider rotates 'upward' as the roof reaches the closed position...without this 'encouragement' there's a risk that the Hinge just jams in the down position and the rear of the roof doesn't raise-up to complete closure.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

I found the page in the Workshop Manual:

image.png.333769ac37305ac8df0b2f361c397330.png

That's BMW's white dotted line...

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Posted (edited)

The spring clip goes under the pin to hold the slider up in the back as dlacey noted. 

Just did the reno on my 74...twice. I found both plastic slider joints broken, so downloaded Spurious Pseudo's cad file from thingiverse and had a two pairs made. A good overview from his vid on utoob: search bmw 2002 sunroof on utoob... link would not load.

When securing the slider to the cable, I found the cable very short to attach a slug to secure the slider. Cutting the old slug off was fiddly, trying to save the cable ends. Slugs were found, crimped and ensured that they did not drag in the channels. Assembled and adjusted, operated well... for a while. On a closing, the roof cocked sideways a bit and stopped closing. On disassembly I found the slug off and one of the sliders was broken on the edge in the channel. I decided to find a pair of Volvo cables with metal sliders  (Thanks zak200022 on the faq) and reassembled the roof.

A couple of notes: 

The volvo cables have a plastic barrel on the pin that the spring clips ride on.

Clean the tracks well! Years of grease hardened will increase the drag on the cables and sliders. 

Check the headliner panel edges. Material that has lifted/folded increases the drag in the headliner slot.

Clean the cables of old grease. They have a 'fur' entwined to hold lubrication and prevent cable rattle.

On assembly, I found it much easier to begin at the main outside rails and work in to center. Makes installing the corners much easier by manipulating the cables. Then mid-section, adjust the sliders to the stops, then the center gear drive. 

You probably won't need to adjust the front height knurled screw seats if it sat well previously. The rear height (adjusted with the screw/cam connection) can be more difficult. If adjusted too high, it can cause the mechanism to not fully raise, dropping down a bit. It took several adjustments to find the perfect height at the rear.

Good luck with it, hope this helps! 

Edited by OldRoller
link not loading

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

3 hours ago, OldRoller said:

The spring clip goes under the pin to hold the slider up in the back as dlacey noted. 

Just did the reno on my 74...twice. I found both plastic slider joints broken, so downloaded Spurious Pseudo's cad file from thingiverse and had a two pairs made. A good overview from his vid on utoob: search bmw 2002 sunroof on utoob... link would not load.

When securing the slider to the cable, I found the cable very short to attach a slug to secure the slider. Cutting the old slug off was fiddly, trying to save the cable ends. Slugs were found, crimped and ensured that they did not drag in the channels. Assembled and adjusted, operated well... for a while. On a closing, the roof cocked sideways a bit and stopped closing. On disassembly I found the slug off and one of the sliders was broken on the edge in the channel. I decided to find a pair of Volvo cables with metal sliders  (Thanks zak200022 on the faq) and reassembled the roof.

A couple of notes: 

The volvo cables have a plastic barrel on the pin that the spring clips ride on.

Clean the tracks well! Years of grease hardened will increase the drag on the cables and sliders. 

Check the headliner panel edges. Material that has lifted/folded increases the drag in the headliner slot.

Clean the cables of old grease. They have a 'fur' entwined to hold lubrication and prevent cable rattle.

On assembly, I found it much easier to begin at the main outside rails and work in to center. Makes installing the corners much easier by manipulating the cables. Then mid-section, adjust the sliders to the stops, then the center gear drive. 

You probably won't need to adjust the front height knurled screw seats if it sat well previously. The rear height (adjusted with the screw/cam connection) can be more difficult. If adjusted too high, it can cause the mechanism to not fully raise, dropping down a bit. It took several adjustments to find the perfect height at the rear.

Good luck with it, hope this helps! 

Thks  Rolller I am waiting on my 3 knurled nuts. The plastic bits were broken. I used JB Weld and seems to have worked. Everything had been cleaned and lubed. All good advice.

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002

41 minutes ago, VWScott said:

Thks  Rolller I am waiting on my 3 knurled nuts. The plastic bits were broken. I used JB Weld and seems to have worked. Everything had been cleaned and lubed. All good advice.

If by plastic bits, you mean the sliders that attach at the end of the cables, then JB Weld probably won't last long.  You need to replace them with 3D printed ones, or buy new cables.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Thanks guys!  My “green” photo looks like the winner.  

When I checked mine, the pin is not like the green photo, it is like the red. That is, the pin is outside the spring clip. 

I’m hoping this has something to do with my sunroof malfunction. Mine opens smoothly and will return perfectly if you only open to 1/4 or so.

If you open past half way, it jams and needs some help to close. When I open it this far, as I begin to close, it almost seems like it lifts early and jams itself against the roof.