• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red light district

The red dashboard Ignition light "L" suddenly started staying on even with the key removed.

She starts ok and then the light goes out, but obviously over and above attracting unwelcome amorous truck drivers to my garage each night, this is draining the batttery.

Anyone have any ideas what might have caused fthis.

thanks

Doug

redlight.jpg

• Haha 1

Since the alt is bad anyway, consider going to an internally regulated alternator since quality external ones are becoming hard to find. This swap is outlined on the 2002 forum.

1962 BMW 700 Cabriolet "The Mighty Cabriolet"

thanks McMil, I wasnt sure if it would be equally applicable to the E120. My first thoughts is to see if I can find a back street sparky somewhere round here, and have it tested first at least, but the upside of a modern unit presumably cuts out some of the worry and inevitable weakness in some of the circuitry.

I also found a reconditioned unit online for a reasonable price, which I might buy by way of belts and braces.

cheers

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

I created a schematic of the dashboard circuit board that others may find useful.  Mine doesn't have a clock.  For those of you who need that, it's pin 2.

console circuit board.png

• Thanks 1