• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small space

I'm in process of painting rear right quarter panel on my '76. It is noted that removing the rear most trim with the plastic nuts in the trunk the space is ...ahem rather tight. I had to tape together two wrenches to even reach the nuts as my mitts are a little too big to reach. One of the joys of working on this car has been few examples of this sort of thing compared to other cars I've worked on. Looking at you VW. Anyway after finished with painting reapplying the trim and starting those nuts look impossible. I've recruited a neighbor with especially small hands to lend one. We'll see.

• Like 4

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002

Making tools has always been the way.

These cars were not very productionized, as they were a panic to

save a dying, coachbuilding, engine- manufacturing company.

So in 1965, when body lines were being roughed in, thoughts

about how that affects assembly weren't foremost in anyone's mind.

Then add 10 years of trim, bump strips, and other running changes,

and of course things are getting a little... manual.

t

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Are you referring to the quarter panel beltline molding that you're having trouble with, or the knee molding?

IIRC the beltline molding is held on with clips all along the space under the quarter windows, except for one stud plate at the very front end of the piece (or possibly the back--it's been 24 years since I had one off).  The knee molding does use stud plates and those black plastic dome nuts, but I don't recall having a problem R & R-ing them.

If hand size is the problem--a child's or female's hand is usually a better fit...get the family involved 😁.

mike

• Haha 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It's the knee molding. I did chase the threads on studs and plastic buts start easily with molding out of the car. If you look in trunk you will see what I mean. It's just way hard to reach let alone starting a nut. I'll get er done. I was kinda curious if anyone ever noticed this 

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002

I noticed this.  I have big hands.  My trick, wrap an ace bandage around your forearm to protect yourself when you go in there.  Have a magnet ready to retrieve the nut when it falls and you have to try again.  I replaced with stainless clips so hopefully never again.  Very hard, nearly impossible on a square tail with the extra mounting for the jack.  The other side ain't so easy (at least for me) either.

Little stubby 1/4" ratchet from Harbor Freight, short socket.  Dum dum to hold the nut in the socket...

Beer, bandaids.

If there's a better way, I'd love to hear it too.  There's usually a trick that only the pros know.  Please let there be a trick... 🙂

TightSpace1.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

4 minutes ago, TobyB said:

the reversible one has a flange that helps...

t

10mm gearwench.jpg

I have a full set of these, invaluable on our cars.  I also have a set of cheap low profile wrenches (think ikea tools cheap) that are great to bend and manipulate as needed.  

• Like 2

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

I am so relieved for others to see what I see. For the love of Mike thats a tight squeeze. My first attempts will be the tiny neighbor,second will be wee children and third will be the 10mm ratchet/wrench. I will break child labor rights to finish this beast no question!!!

• Haha 1

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002

Put some tape on the open side of the wrench and stick the nut with the washer glued to the nut with 1 drop of superglue to get the nut started.

• Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

It's probably not an issue now, but make sure you replace the "stock" clips/t-bolts with stainless if you can.  A guy used to sell sets of the stainless clips back in the day on here, now maybe W&N or others?.  The old stock clips were rusted little blocks when I removed the original ones.  Don't do that again...

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

WWW.ACEHARDWARE.COM

Permanent Bond for Moldings, trim and emblems designed specifically for auto care and maintenance, our 3M Super Strength Molding Tape permanently attaches plastic, metal, carbon fiber and composite parts to your vehicles painted or unpainted surfaces. You can...

Half-joking.  

I am planning on removing my knee trim eventually, and so when I replaced my rockers I welded all of the holes shut on the dogleg panel.  I'm not ready to pull off the knee trim on the doors and fender and weld those/repaint yet, so I wanted to reattach the trim on the dogleg to keep the car looking complete.  This tape was the ticket and has held up quite well for thousands of miles now.  A step above bubblegum, but a step below doing it the right way. 

Just thought I'd make the suggestion in case you have a cars and coffee you want to get to in the morning...

• Like 1