• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tractor sounding '02 - Help!

Go to solution Solved by Dudeland,

2 hours ago, Mike Self said:

I'm not sure I'd go with 99%,but I'd go with "high"...had that happen to me on the way back from a CCA Ofest in Wisconsin--same symptoms.  Managed to limp it to a garage where a compression test confirmed the head gasket blew between #3 and #4 cylinders about 50k miles into a rebuilt engine, due to a massive vacuum leak when a plug came off an unused vacuum port in the intake manifold.  Ended up having to dolly the car home behind a huge UHaul truck...how embarrassing!

Unless your chain tensioner suddenly died, it's unlikely that your dizzy or cam would suddenly jump time.  From that one camshaft picture it appears that the chain sprocket still has flat spots atop each tooth, so it's not excessively worn.  And a burnt valve (although not a loose valve seat) usually manifests itself over a period of time, not suddenly. 

Let us know whatcha find!

mike

Thanks for this, Mike!  I have a kit in hand, but my schedule won't allow me the time until tomorrow night.  Will post my findings when done.  

2 hours ago, NicholasMav said:

Thanks for this, Mike!  I have a kit in hand, but my schedule won't allow me the time until tomorrow night.  Will post my findings when done.  

Do I get the "Solution" checkbox if I am right? :) 

I hope it is a bad or cracked plug or a broken valve spring.

Regards

• Thanks 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Update!  (Had family and musical matters to attend to...😃). To answer the last two questions: yes, choke butterfly was manually kept open.  It was not warmed up, and I didn't want to warm it up, not knowing the issue...could cause more damage, as noted somewhere above. 

Had my lovely teenage daughter crank it for me and here's the results:

Cylinder                  1st              2nd

1                           150                150

2                           150               149

3                            30                 31

4                            30                 29

So my guess is there's a blown gasket between cylinders 3 and 4?  I don't see anything obviously wrong with the valve springs.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, NicholasMav said:

Update!  (Had family and musical matters to attend to...😃). To answer the last two questions: yes, choke butterfly was manually kept open.  It was not warmed up, and I didn't want to warm it up, not knowing the issue...could cause more damage, as noted somewhere above. 

Had my lovely teenage daughter crank it for me and here's the results:

Cylinder                  1st              2nd

1                           150                150

2                           150               149

3                            30                 31

4                            30                 29

So my guess is there's a blown gasket between cylinders 3 and 4?  I don't see anything obviously wrong with the valve springs.  

Oh man.....Very sad to hear that.

Edited by resra
  • Like 1

At this point I’d say go ahead and yank the head. Post some photos of what you see. Sucks that this happened, hopefully you haven’t run it enough to have caused a bigger problem than just a failed head gasket. We e all been through it (some of us-meaning me- a number of times). I’ve got a Series IIA head gasket handing on the wall as a constant reminder to NOT keep driving a car with a suspect blown gasket. I had about the same symptoms you experienced, and just said screw it, it’ll get me home (another 5 miles). Well, it got me home all right. Cost was a giant crack between #3 and #4 in the block. Suffice it to say 19 year old me was kind of a dip shit…

On 6/10/2024 at 7:02 AM, Dudeland said:

I am 99% confident that he lost the head gasket between two cylinders. 

I will give you the solution checkmark if I find it to be the gasket, which seems likely at this point.  Off with the head, at this point, I guess!  Thanks for your help!

At least you have a diagnosis. The fluids didn't mix, scorching the bottom end. I am not sure if an MLS gasket will help. Perhaps the block needs to be decked. 

Something like this straight edge below and some feeler gauges may let you know if you have to pull the engine. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

2 minutes ago, NicholasMav said:

I will give you the solution checkmark if I find it to be the gasket, which seems likely at this point.  Off with the head, at this point, I guess!  Thanks for your help!

I am kind of sad because that means you won't have your car for a good part of the summer.

I was able to connect the power, and it spun one revolution, so that is progress. Still, it won't be on the road this year.

Business is good—way too good—and there are not enough hours in the day.

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

2 minutes ago, NicholasMav said:
4 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

At least you have a diagnosis. The fluids didn't mix, scorching the bottom end. I am not sure if an MLS gasket will help. Perhaps the block needs to be decked. 

The block was decked as part of the rebuild, so I should think not.  

Good news. 

• Thanks 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002