• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tractor sounding '02 - Help!

Go to solution Solved by Dudeland,

cracks don't normally happen where the head gasket burnt thru     Check from ex valve seat to cooling chamber, from ex valve seat to spark plug hole and from ex valve seat to intake valve seat      Really check for head being flat and straight  

Thanks, Rick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NicholasMav said:

Looks OK head has tiny little scratches,

Yeah, not really tiny, not really Ok. Like kbmb02 said: "Those scratches start a path through the fire ring"

The  scratches need to go, a total weak spot in the worst possible place.

Your head needs to be skimmed.

You already received a new gasket kit? with the standard 1.5mm thick head gasket?  Should have waited on that... Sorry

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

Your head needs to be skimmed.

Yup now's the time, and as always be sure to send the top timing cover with the head so that it can be skimmed along with the head.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Yeah, since it had a cutting ring head gasket on it at some point, and now

some erosion between the cylinders, it's going to need a 

clean- up cut at the very least.

So measuring for warpage is next, since if it's badly warped, it's not worth

going any farther.  If you have a machinist, they'll do it best.  You CAN 

check it yourself with a proper straightedge, but it needs to be a good 

straightedge....

You also need to measure thickness. 

If it's already cut to 128, AND it's warped, it's time to go shopping.

Sounds like a lot of work, but if you don't,  the engine won't seal again...

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

17 hours ago, tech71 said:

Looks kinda fishy right there, exhaust manifold may be cracked, pretty common.

Image.jpeg

I'm sorry that it wasn't something bent or broken. At least you have an answer. This makes me wonder what I will find when I pull my head to get done.  

Please let us know how it goes. 

Regards

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Cutting Ring Head Gaskets:  If you like the gasket part of a particular brand or kind of cutting ring head gasket, the cutting ring can easily be removed with needle pliers, a little twist, and a tug; total, ~5 sec/ring.  The final ID might just be what one needs, depending on the situation, bore, etc.

Got the head back from the shop this afternoon.  I'm returning the standard thickness head gasket I'd ordered, but I'm not sure what to order?  The shop said they took three thousandths off the bottom.  The brand that blew was a Victor Reinz.  I'm inclined not to go with that brand again, though it could have been a random occurrence.  The other option is Elring in a 1.8mm or Cometic, which apparently cost in the 3 digits $$(?!).  

Is there a brand that's often recommended?  I found this past conversation and found myself more confused than anything:

On 6/23/2024 at 2:39 PM, TobyB said:

You also need to measure thickness. 

If it's already cut to 128, AND it's warped, it's time to go shopping.

So, I sincerely hope your machinist was aware of this.... Definite and defined limits on head thickness.

What exactly is the heads thickness now?  Cant really advise head gaskets until we know.

IMG_6769.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

1 hour ago, NicholasMav said:

I'm inclined not to go with that brand again, though it could have been a random occurrence. 

It seems like when a head gasket blows, it's always between 3 and 4 cylinders.  I think it's an M10 thing and not necessarily the gasket mfr.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

On 6/28/2024 at 5:21 PM, tech71 said:

So, I sincerely hope your machinist was aware of this.... Definite and defined limits on head thickness.

What exactly is the heads thickness now?  Cant really advise head gaskets until we know.

IMG_6769.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG

It's measuring 128.93, so should be within spec, from what I see above.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  What I don't know is if that calls for a certain thickness of gasket.  Throw your thoughts at me.