• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fit E88 1 series seats into a 2002

Go to solution Solved by HobieDog,

On 6/15/2024 at 3:20 AM, PhilC said:

I think you have to be registered to view the pictures.

You are correct Phil I can't open the photo's.  How do I register?  regards Mike

I have cleaned up the seats and they are in excellent condition.  Didn't realise that they have 1 electrical component which is a button/pump to move the seat back bolsters in and around you.

BMW Series 1 drivers seat 2.jpg

BMW Series 1 drivers seat rhs.jpg

BMW Series 1 drivers seat backrest squab width adjustment.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 3:20 AM, PhilC said:

I think you have to be registered to view the pictures.

Hi Phil, I have now registered and can see all your photos.  Thanks for answering my original post as you have detailed everything you have done very well, which of course is fantastic for me and others who want to do a similar thing.  I will also put up here how I eventually do it with Hobiedog and your inputs making for a variety of ways of solving this.

I have an alloy seat frame that I removed from one of my BMW 2002 race cars that may be able to be used for this application?  I have attached a photo of it below.  You will notice the frame drops down at the back where the floor falls away.  The front of the frame has an angled piece to fit behind the small hump on the floor.  I thought the frame might come in handy one day!

BMW 2002 seat frame to suit floor pan.jpg

BMW 2002 seat frame to suit floor pan2.jpg

BMW 2002 seat frame to suit floor pan3.jpg

BMW 2002 seat frame to suit floor pan4.jpg

BMW 2002 seat frame to suit floor pan5.jpg

BMW 2002 seat frame to suit floor pan6.jpg

BMW 2002 seat frame to suit floor pan7.jpg

• Like 1

You need to cut the center tunnel to have most seats centred. Mine are the sport seats out of an E21 (not Recarros).  Since I will be swapping the transmission for an RX8 6-speed, I decided to weld in the cross braces to fit the seats for the time being. They are off-centred by a bit less than 1". I may re-visit the mounts after I drive it for a while. 

Best of luck with the fit. 

IMG_5251.thumb.jpeg.41865d7d891e4167db401c8f0b3b98f7.jpeg

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

On 6/11/2024 at 8:33 PM, Mike Rowe said:

HobieDog do you have a photo of what you did at the front?

It’s actually visible in this photo - note that I hadn’t yet drilled the outboard front bolt hole, but you can see the hole through the fabricated tunnel piece for the inside front

On 6/11/2024 at 8:55 AM, Mike Rowe said:

So, I don't have the split seats like you have, which hopefully may make it easier to attach? 

Definitely. I spent a lot of time messing with the hinges and getting things fitted right.  Would be way easier to have just bolted the seat backs in or fabbed up some brackets. 

IMG_1294.jpeg

1 hour ago, SydneyTii said:

Those seats look nice Mike, I’m intrigued as to what they will look like in the car, are they narrower than Recaros and or standard seats?

I'm not sure as haven't measured standard seats.  If I do, I will note the comparison on this post.  But as far as comfort goes, they are miles better and were cheap and available.

• Like 1

I used e46 seats in mine.  Cut out the original seat mounts and made new ones from 1/4" steel.  Slightly off centered from the steering wheel but never notice while driving.  D8E0BBF8-B201-485B-8889-27AF21E38BE0.thumb.jpeg.63c5f3cd2100eaacd763b5b8445c48da.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Ken, great to see so many people have been able to make these seats fit. Interesting also that you find the steering position acceptable.  Did you take any photos of the seat mounts you made?

1 hour ago, Ken said:

I used e46 seats in mine.  Cut out the original seat mounts and made new ones from 1/4" steel.  Slightly off centered from the steering wheel but never notice while driving.  D8E0BBF8-B201-485B-8889-27AF21E38BE0.thumb.jpeg.63c5f3cd2100eaacd763b5b8445c48da.jpeg

Ken, what is the steering wheel out of?  Looks great.

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Very sharp interior - love the door panels.  Did you sew them up yourself?

1 hour ago, Mike Rowe said:

Thanks Ken, great to see so many people have been able to make these seats fit. Interesting also that you find the steering position acceptable.  Did you take any photos of the seat mounts you made?

?_fromLogin=1&title=My%20Attachments%20-

I will see if I have any other pictures.

1 hour ago, Mike Rowe said:

Ken, what is the steering wheel out of?  Looks great.

The steering wheel is a e21 sport wheel from Dave at

WWW.2002PARTS.COM

2002 Parts is a specialized website where both regular and upgraded BMW 2002 parts can be sourced, restored, or purchased. Professional mechanics and do-it-yourselfers alike visit 2002 Parts for its adept customer service and high quality goods.

40 minutes ago, HobieDog said:

Very sharp interior - love the door panels.  Did you sew them up yourself?

I bought the door panels from Dave at

WWW.2002PARTS.COM

2002 Parts is a specialized website where both regular and upgraded BMW 2002 parts can be sourced, restored, or purchased. Professional mechanics and do-it-yourselfers alike visit 2002 Parts for its adept customer service and high quality goods.