• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC pulley install question

I’m thinking of adding AC to my tii. What is involved in replacing the single-belt crank pulley with the double pulley? Engine out or can this be done reasonably with engine in car?

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911

Posted (edited)

Sorry, a more in depth search found Rob Siegels’s comprehensive write-up 

As well as a great write-up by Thomas Turck:

Edited by fjord-tii

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911

There's no space for a double pulley 'outside' of the current pulley on a tii/turbo.... it interferes with the mechanical fan, thats why the tii AC pulley has the extra groove 'inside'.

On a 2002turbo the problem is even worse as there's no space for the compressor.... i took a serpentine single belt approach which could also be applied on a tii:

This allows the compressor  to be mounted in a cooler & more accessible location and all driven off the single crank pulley.... has been working fine for me the last few years including long-distance drives etc.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

13 minutes ago, dlacey said:

There's no space for a double pulley 'outside' of the current pulley on a tii/turbo.... it interferes with the mechanical fan, thats why the tii AC pulley has the extra groove 'inside'.

On a 2002turbo the problem is even worse as there's no space for the compressor.... i took a serpentine single belt approach which could also be applied on a tii:

This allows the compressor  to be mounted in a cooler & more accessible location and all driven off the single crank pulley.... has been working fine for me the last few years including long-distance drives etc.

An elegant solution to a difficult problem. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

With the radiator removed, it can be done in the car. Not easy but can be done. You also need to cut the Kfish belt cover since the AC belt will need to exit the bottom of the Kfish belt cover.

You need to remove the radiator anyway to install the condenser in the nose, so 2 birds 1 stone.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.