• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temporary Sunroof Lockdown

I have to move my '73 project car back to the street for a couple of weeks as a driver while I repair my daily driver.  The sunroof unfortunately is disassembled and the roof surround is only primered.  Is there any practical way to lock the steel sunroof panel in place without reassembly?  I want to avoid having to top coat the surround and installing the seals and cables before I replace the chain guides and throw out bearing on my rattling '02 Ford Explorer.

I did do a search of the archive and found one suggestion to use 3M Windo-Weld Ribbon Sealer over bad or non-existent seals.  Not sure this would be enough to anchor an otherwise removeable roof panel.

Paul in West LA

The only way to 'lock' it would be to temporarily install the two long alloy rails, lay the panel in-place and then fit the front guides. At the rear you could jam it 'up' with some wooden wedges from the inside. That would make the roof secure (difficult to open from the outside) but not waterproof (you'd still need to tape the gap).

• Like 2

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise