• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What 2002 Parts to Stockpile

With concerns about more parts becoming NLA as time marches on, I'm considering stocking up on some key components for future repairs/maintenance. Thinking things like wear and tear items, specific engine components, etc.  I have some dedicated garage space for storing spare parts. Since they'll be stored properly, degradation shouldn't be a major concern.

For those who have been running these cars for a long time, any recommendations on which parts I should prioritize buying now?

I will start with atleast two rebuilt Starter and couple of Alternators keep in stock. Brake/clutch master cylinders couple of slave cylinder and perhaps brake lines front and back. If not NLA in future, prices continue going up.

A front and back windshield, maybe the L+R gutter molding trims (If becomes NLA). 

• Like 4

If you own a tii and have a spare Kugelfisher pump, send it to a shop that specializes in rebuilding mechanical fuel injection pumps. The techs who do this work are retiring and in a decade,  it may be a lost art.  

• Like 4

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

• If you can find 'em--NOS point sets and condensers.  Lotsa chatter on the FAQ about the poor quality of both items currently available...caps and rotors also, for that matter
  • if you have a '72 or '73, a good working right side steering column stalk--wiper switch/turn signal combo.  They do wear out and while they (usually) can be repaired, it's much easier to have a spare
  • speedometer head that matches what's in your car.  
  • if you have a roundie and can get 'em for less than an arm and a leg, a set of grilles (center and two sides).  And if you have a late 72 or any 73, jump on any "shallow headlight surround" grilles you can find.  They've been NLA forever, and won't ever be reproduced due to their use only on US cars for about 16 production months.  
  • wouldn't hurt to have a spare windshield wiper assembly--motor, brackets and linkage.  Make sure you get the one that works on your car (3 or 5 wire)
  • windshield washer pump assembly--they were used on contemporary VWs and Audis, so that may be a less expensive source.  I used to harvest 'em from salvage yard Rabbits and Foxes (the cars, not the animals)

I'm sure I'll think of other things...I've been stashing parts for some few years, and feel very smug when I can rummage around in my basement or attic and come up with what I need when something on the 02 breaks.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If you've got the shelf space, a spare transmission would be a nice. Kicking myself in the ass when i think i had a few 'spare' 245's 20 years ago...

Bob

• Like 2

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

I used to be a Getrag 245 5-speed 3.91 diff hoarder.  Now I'm just a lowly 4-speed 3.64 diff hoarder... 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Not a parts expert on 02s but gonna chime in.

What parts you need to stock up on depends on how original you want the car to be. Bodywork and interior parts that are NLA or will soon go NLA are a must; you’re going to need these to keep the car looking presentable. If you want an original engine in the car, you’ll probably want some some of the non wear-and-tear items for the engine that can eventually fail; I don’t expect wear-and-tear items to go NLA anytime soon as they should be regularly ordered. It’s normally the stuff that isn’t regularly ordered that tends to go NLA (sits on shelves and takes up space being unsold inventory)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GasProcessor said:

What parts you need to stock up on depends on how original you want the car to be. Bodywork and interior parts that are NLA or will soon go NLA are a must; you’re going to need these to keep the car looking presentable. If you want an original engine in the car, you’ll probably want some some of the non wear-and-tear items for the engine that can eventually fail; I don’t expect wear-and-tear items to go NLA anytime soon as they should be regularly ordered. It’s normally the stuff that isn’t regularly ordered that tends to go NLA (sits on shelves and takes up space being unsold inventory)

Aaaaa...in todays world parts places are becoming greedy like grocery stores and landlords. Gone are the days of daily driving 2002s (with few exceptions). So parts producing companies have these money hungry production optimizing managers who are not necessarily car guys or 2002 fans. All they look at is the data at the end of the year?

Scott, how many starter for that ol BMW did we sell last year??? 

Scott says: 6 sir.

6??? Dang it.....discontinue! 

How many Honda civic starters did we sell Scott?

70 million....hmmmm....Scott....we know where we headed. 

20 hours ago, GasProcessor said:

Agreed! I bought a 2nd pair of interior door panels for this reason. Also several rolls of seat and trunk material.