• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Tii upgrades

Hi All,

contemplating getting around to restarting  my 72 tii project. What mechanical upgrades would you, should you do to a stock tii resto. 

Wish list as of now, 5 speed upgrades, 3 point seat belt.

• Like 1

It depends on what you're going to do with the car, really.

If you plan on fair weather cruises, keep it 99 44/100% stock, and live the 2002 lifestyle.  Maybe just a 

set of ST anti- sway bars, which make a nice improvement to an otherwise- stock car, with little down side.

If you plan on harder usage, maybe an autocross or track day, there are a lot of 'while you're in there'

changes you can make that will really improve the car while not adding much cost or time to the project.

From anti- sway bars to dampers to brakes to springs...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

If you plan on rebuilding the motor anytime soon, rebuild it to Euro tii specs. For a 72 tii with 121 head, I believe that would be pistons with a 10.0:1 compression ratio, 9.5:1 pistons with a E12 head.  

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Other than the higher c/r pistons the Tii engine doesn't play well with cam mods with out having a well practiced K-fish rebuilder reworked to match you build.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Going for a stock resto with bolt on add on’s Fjord/Tan. I don’t want to mod the engine internals unless a rebuild is necessary. At this time, I’m not rebuilding the engine but i will send out the fuel pump, replace the fuel lines, maybe a new WUR that’s offered here, maybe a set of rebuilt injectors.  

Who’s the best option to send out the Kpump in SoCal these days?

Sway bar noted!

set of 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LbRex said:

Hi All,

contemplating getting around to restarting  my 72 tii project. What mechanical upgrades would you, should you do to a stock tii resto. 

Wish list as of now, 5 speed upgrades, 3 point seat belt.

I also have a 72tii, and also in SoCal. Whereabouts are you? Im in Santa Monica.

My car is intended to be a fun weekend canyon blaster, with maybe an occasional trackday or autocross, and some daily driving.

I've gone through and redone all the suspension: all bushings front and back, new Bilstein shocks and lowering springs, stickier tires and upgraded wheels, stainless steel brake lines and performance pads, big front sway bar, driving lights and upgraded LED headlights (for nighttime canyon driving as well as just being able to see down the road lol), new seat belts, front spoiler, and replaced many of the rubber engine and fuel bits. This along with regular maintenance like fuel filters and such. 

Still on my list, I also have a 5 speed to install. I'm short cash for the shorter driveshaft but have everything else. 

Also want coilovers eventually, better seats, roll bar, jsome gauges. That's it for my list. The rest would be aesthetic things such as a rear spoiler, redo other interior bits.

Its a pretty fun car! 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

1 hour ago, Pablo M said:

I also have a 72tii, and also in SoCal. Whereabouts are you? Im in Santa Monica.

My car is intended to be a fun weekend canyon blaster, with maybe an occasional trackday or autocross, and some daily driving.

I've gone through and redone all the suspension: all bushings front and back, new Bilstein shocks and lowering springs, stickier tires and upgraded wheels, stainless steel brake lines and performance pads, big front sway bar, driving lights and upgraded LED headlights (for nighttime canyon driving as well as just being able to see down the road lol), new seat belts, front spoiler, and replaced many of the rubber engine and fuel bits. This along with regular maintenance like fuel filters and such. 

Still on my list, I also have a 5 speed to install. I'm short cash for the shorter driveshaft but have everything else. 

Also want coilovers eventually, better seats, roll bar, jsome gauges. That's it for my list. The rest would be aesthetic things such as a rear spoiler, redo other interior bits.

Its a pretty fun car! 

Hi Pablo. 

5 speed, LSD, sway bar, LED Headlights,  new 3 point seat belts, coil overs? Maybe. I’m in Long Beach. 

1 hour ago, Pablo M said:

• Like 1

stock tii resto?  What's dat? 😊

I have no idea of the condition of your car.  I would say get your car working properly in the stock configuration before adding on extra stuff.  The stock 2002tii system as a whole works very well when maintained correctly.   That's the "stock tii resto" for me.  The stock tii brakes are fine when working correctly.  Same with the fuel injection system, engine systems.  Get those dialed in first.  Then think about the bling.  

Granted I added extra stuff like Toby said above.  Mild suspension upgrades, etc..  and have been liv'n the 2002 lifestyle 😎

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

New quality carpet and mats from Esty are a great upgrade. Throw in a matching trunk mat while you're at it.

Could put some new sound deadening and padding down at the same time.

• Like 1

See? this is my problem, too- if you're going in, might as well go whole hog, hamhocks included!

And by the time you put coilovers in front, it's time for vented brakes, adjustable shocks,

might as well lower it a bit and find some 7x15 rims so you can run the 205- series RA1's, and 

well

off you go.

t

can has turbo?

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, LbRex said:

5 speed, LSD, sway bar, LED Headlights,  new 3 point seat belts, coil overs? Maybe. I’m in Long Beach. 

If you had not bought the tii already I'd tell you same as what Andrew said, to buy a standard 2002 and mod the hell out of it. That's what I would have done had I known then what I know now.

The stock car runs well, just not particularly fast, which is fine. It's still a fun momentum car. Needs to be lower though in my opinion, and needs to be a good handling car. I have camber blocks (adds 2* neg camber) in addition to being lower. Coilovers only for adjustability and to get a little lower still, is why I want them. I had to rebuild my head recently and couldn't even put in a hotter cam because the tuning of the mechanical fuel injection is like a black art. Doable but tuning comes much easier to a base 02 with dual side drafts. There's at least a half dozen of us in SoCal that get together regularly. We should connect.

• Like 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

10 minutes ago, Pablo M said:

tuning of the mechanical fuel injection is like a black art.

And most people who really know how to mod the pump are sadly ageing out and will be mostly gone in a decade.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944