• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rat Nest 1972 2002

Hello everyone, my name is Kyle and I am in Northern Michigan. I recently found this 2002 while browsing Facebook Marketplace for stuff I do not need. This guy was just selling it as he received it in another trade. I asked him if he wanted a old 4 wheeler I had for it and he even offered to deliver the car to me for the trade. He was selling it with no title, but oddly enough another person messaged him on the ad and told him they have the title from 15 years ago. After we did the trade he put me in touch with the old owner and I learned a lot about the history of the car and received the title. I guess the old owner saw it sitting in a side yard when he traveled back and forth for work and he ended up making an offer on it one day. It was almost as rusty back then (20 years ago) as it is today. He got it running and drove it back and forth to work for a few years after that. He offered the car to another person for body work on his Vanagon, but that guy passed away after that. Now I have it.

I have been on the hunt for one of these for close to 15 years, but one hasn't crossed my path until now. I also have a really clean 77 Celica, decently clean 76 Wagoneer, and I am also restoring a 71 Cutlass 442. I have done a lot of steel work on Jeeps over the years and recently replaced the front roof skin on my Jeep XJ. I need some encouragement for this project as it is going to be a big one. There was more mouse nests and crap in this than I have ever seen in a car. There is lots of rust in the usual areas for these cars, but I think it can be saved. Please let me know your thoughts. 

First thought is to fix the gnawed-through wires and plug wires and get it running.

IMG_6823.JPG

IMG_6825.JPG

IMG_6826.JPG

IMG_6828.JPG

IMG_6830.JPG

IMG_6831.JPG

IMG_6866.JPG

IMG_6868.JPG

IMG_6869.JPG

IMG_6870.JPG

IMG_6871.JPG

IMG_6873.JPG

IMG_6875.JPG

IMG_6877.JPG

IMG_6878.JPG

IMG_6879.JPG

IMG_6880.JPG

IMG_6885.JPG

IMG_6886.JPG

IMG_6887.JPG

IMG_6888.JPG

Sale Ad.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is a lot of work for sure but like said there's something good too - it doesn't look completely hopeless.

Take a better look at the frame rails on the bottom, inner rocker panels, rear axle mounts and a-pillar area behind fenders. Then you'll know better if it's a task you want to attack. What I see so far is doable but if it keeps looking as bad below the surface it may be time to re-consider if it's worth it.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Original Inka, and most of the parts are there, worth having a go at it!

Clean it first, inside and out. Then get it running, see if the heart is healthy.

You can get deeper into it as you go, good luck!

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

It appears solid in the most important areas. As Tommy said, look at the inner rockers, frame rails, etc. If you are skillful with the welders even those parts are available and not too expensive. Keep us posted with the project.

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)