• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002/Mazda resto mod

Hi all,

So as the title implies this is going to be a weird fusion but I do have some explanation before the pitchforks are brought out. The goal is to make a classic bmw such as the 2002 and restore/modify it into a car that drives like a modern sports car while retaining the look and feel (subjective) of something classic. 

We are using a 2002 roller from so Cal that has been completely taken down to the frame and sand blasted. Picture of the before seen. We have a completely rebuilt 1.8 M10 with plans to go turbo and efi. The M10 will will mate with a 6 speed rx8 tranny thanks to plate and process by Campermam which can be found on the forum. The tranny will then provide power to a Miata nb LSD. We have made a custom rear subframe for the diff along with custom control arms. We have a front subframe from a Miata as well made from v8roadsters that we will have the M10 sit in. The idea is to use the Miata subframe setup to bolster the suspension (going for ohlins) and braking (going for wilwood). 

Currently, we are finishing up the rear subframe and I just started working on modifying the tranny for the mate. This project is a weekend gig for me since I work weekdays so progress will be slow. Been working on this for about a year so far. 

Any questions please ask away. 

IMG20230618152746.jpg

IMG20230618160218.jpg

IMG20240407121849.jpg

IMG20240407121914.jpg

IMG20240527152634.jpg

IMG20230618152734.jpg

IMG20240407121856.jpg

IMG20231007171626.jpg

IMG20240527175129.jpg

IMG20240527175136.jpg

Snapchat-755658878.jpg

IMG20230618160229.jpg

• Like 3

Is the rear suspension converted to double wishbone?

Edit: I just read that you were fabricating a rear subframe from a Miata. So it will be a double wish bone. That’s pretty sick. 

Is the car going to be for racing? 
How much is the chassis changing for the new front and rear suspension?

Edited by armanhammer

Probably not worth it for a street car. 

Is there a reason you have to use the m10? Like a racing rule? 

When you swap rx8 tranny is there anyway you don't have to move the shifter back an inch?  

Its not the biggest deal but I already restored my center console. I would  hate to have to do it again. 

So actually yes primarily street, maybe some track not sure. 

Wanted to keep the M10 as something original to the car as mostly everything else is changing. Also I have heard the M10 can be pushed quite far in terms of power and I just like smaller engines in general. 

Yes we may have to move the shifter position a bit but also since the engine will not be mounted to the original subframe we might be able to get away with moving the engine a bit forward (we will see). 

I wanted to do a engine swap in the future. That will be awhile though. I need to work on the body and subframes. I been think about making a custom subframe based on the original.

Rx8 transmission seem like a cheap solution for a swap. I'll probably just end up getting a 318i parts car and swapping the drive train. Thes kind of the cheapest option. 

I look forward to seeing the finished build! 

• 1 month later...

So we started install of front sub frame. Using v8 roadster Miata subframe along with adjustable upper control arm. We had to cut into the engine bay a bit but we finally found center for the subframe. Will likely be welding the subframe to the engine bay. More to come

IMG20240721183818.jpg

IMG20240714124907.jpg

IMG20240721183845.jpg

• Like 1

Very pretty work, well desinged and original. I think this will be a success!

Though 2002 suspension is not bad at all compared to its era, this will be a great step forward. Very interesting to follow!

• Thanks 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, so a bit of an update. Front sub frame was welded in and we added some strength to it. Will need to close up the open area in the wheel well but excited to finish this up and show you what I have in store for suspension. 

IMG20240922165432.jpg

IMG20240922165437.jpg

• Like 1