• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel filler neck

Go to solution Solved by Mikesmalaga72,

You have one of these, right? Right side, below rear deck...

1972_bmw_2000-tii_DSC02395-33118-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C1365

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I have inspected the plastic vapor canister as suggested, and it looks fine as far as I can tell -- almost like brand new. The hoses going to and from the canister appear to be intact and solidly connected as well. The line running to the engine bay terminates in the air cleaner.

Based on all the comments I've received so far, it looks like I have the correct type of fuel filler neck to go with my tank, so that's good news. 

BTW, I just took that filler neck neck off all the way for the first time so that I could remove and address the piece of carpet around it as recommended, and was surprised by what I found. There was a paper gasket on the other side of the flange, as shown in the new picture. Am I correct that there should be not be a gasket there, and there should instead be one between the flange and filler neck? If so, hopefully when I correct this mix up it will fix the fuel smell in the trunk. Thanks to all.

IMG_2555.jpg

Coupla more things to check...

Look at the fuel lines under the floor in the vicinity of the gas tank.  If you see any cloth-covered hose, remove it (toss in neighbor's pool--that's an old joke on the FAQ) and replace with new fuel line. 

Dunno if tii's use the small plastic ferrule that mates the larger flexible hose with the smaller diameter fuel line, but if it does (and a tii person can answer that) you need to check and see if it's in position.  If you see a small hose clamp that's really screwed down, that may be due to a missing ferrule.

Also note that the vent/vapor canister up under the package shelf was part of the "lets try it and see if it works" emission control system used back in the 70s to try and meet government requirements.  If you want to keep it, also inspect for that cloth covered fuel line and replace if found.  You can also go full Euro and re-route that breather hose coming out of the rubber filler neck.  Look under the floorboards aft of the gas tank and I'll bet you'll find a plugged hole; that's where the tank vent line goes on non-US cars--and yours too if you choose. 

And BTW, the rubber filler necks on both my cars (early on the '69, late on the 73) are original and in good shape.  No cracks or leaks.  And yours looks nicer than mine!

mike 

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

These are all great suggestions, and much appreciated. I will try to follow them all in time.

Before I replace the gasket I would like to make sure I'm straight on where it's supposed to be positioned. I was under the impression from looking at a diagram of the fuel supply system that the  gasket is supposed to go between the rubber filler neck and the metal flange to which the neck abuts -- i.e., where my finger is pointing in the first picture below, or -- shown after the flange was removed -- on the side visible in the second picture below. However, the gasket on there now is located on the opposite side of that flange, between it and another flange (third picture) that is permanently attached to or part of the body. Is the current placement right? Thanks very much.

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

• Like 1

I'm happy to report that I seem to have resolved the gas smell in my trunk. I did it by implementing the suggestion I received from @Mikesmalaga72 and seconded by @Son of Marty: smoothing out the texture on the body flange. I believe that texture was preventing a good seal. Once I sanded it down and put everything back together it made a huge difference. In fact, I didn't even have to install a new paper gasket. After looking at the photo of Mike's I decided that the gasket I already had looked similar and likely still had some life left in it. So I just put some Hylomar Blue on it and reinstalled the flange, crossing my fingers.

Those changes seem to have worked. Afterward I could not detect any odor from the filler neck, even after filling up the tank and putting some miles on the car.

That said, I could still detect some slight gas odor coming from somewhere. That was when I remembered the comment by @Mark92131 that the carpeting in the trunk could be retaining some smell. At that point I inspected the carpeting more closely and discovered something I'd overlooked before: a PO must have kept gas and oil containers in the trunk at some point, and some had gotten on the carpeting.

My solution was to remove the panels and scrub the carpeting on them with some diluted Oil Eater (a biodegradable degreaser safe for use with carpeting and even laundry). I then scrubbed that off with a mixture of Dawn dish soap and water, hosed the carpeting off, and left the panels to dry in the sun. In the end the stains were gone and the carpeting was odor free. In fact, when I asked my son to confirm that he couldn't smell anything he told me that it actually smells good now.

So as you can see I'm much happier with my trunk situation and am very grateful for the input from everyone who helped me get there.

• Like 5