• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cookie Monster

Go to solution Solved by Son of Marty,

9 hours ago, popovm said:

Awesome. Maybe keep the Blaupunkt for looks and use one of those hidden bluetooth receivers for the tunes? 

Great plan. Will need to figure out speakers without cutting anything also.

1 hour ago, DieselOx said:

Great plan. Will need to figure out speakers without cutting anything also.

Kooglewerks sells this neat kit that replaces the under dash panels. 

There was someone else making pods of a different design but I can’t remember who. 

WWW.KOOGLEWERKS.COM

1967-1976 bmw 2002 under dash speaker panels

Edited by popovm
  • Like 2

This thing is rad! Hope to see you out at a Seattle meet sometime! Definitely still a few good cars tucked away out there.

• Like 3

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Posted (edited)

Pulled out the windshield. Bad rust, but more than half of the fin is still good.

I was expecting to replace the whole thing.IMG_7650.thumb.jpeg.1b24befd9b96a74aed271e28de174573.jpegIMG_7651.thumb.jpeg.fba2c4f5cd7dc8659cd05d8df1c05d3f.jpeg

IMG_7649.thumb.jpeg.ed35c482b4c5d0b91a78fecb2b6b1478.jpeg

Also had to take a peek under the valve cover. Way better than I expected. Some thin oily build up, but the cam looks really good, not seeing much wear at all.

IMG_7647.thumb.jpeg.a765aef62a2d4597e2b96fcf1e0f0867.jpegIMG_7646.thumb.jpeg.1db713398329756fd51ff7f605bf1479.jpegIMG_7645.thumb.jpeg.50554abddd2b5f9c49df6982c413e3cd.jpeg

And yeah, thats a Judson ignition. Would that have been original, or an add on? Previous owner said this thing ate points, no experience with this at all.

image.thumb.jpg.da796cca03f17aca63c301dc80fdde13.jpg

Edited by DieselOx
  • Like 1

• Solution

Defiantly a add on IMHO you would be better off replacing it with a good coil like the Bosch Blue coil.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

9 minutes ago, jibarnes said:

When you get underneath check the stamped numbers on the left nose and ID tag on the diff if any.

Left nose? So far all numbers match: engine, chassis stamp and plate, and the steering column.

And it is a dog leg trans, no question about it.

It has the feel of an original car. All the grime and dirt is intact everywhere. I could tell talking to the original owner its all original.

I have found evidence or repainting after a couple crunches, but all seem minor. Has the original nose even, according to people who know. 

26 minutes ago, DieselOx said:

…Left nose?…

That’s a reference to the left front flank of the differential housing. It’s probably stamped with key numbers for the ratio and manufacturing date, possibly an “S” for limited slip.

But you’re going to need some super cleaning of the diff’s left side to read any of this, especially while the diff remains in the car!

The photo below shows the original differential of my ‘76. It’s a 3.90 ratio differential assembled April 1976 (“10” and “39” represent the teeth on the pinion and ring, respectively; “4” represents April and “6” represents 1976. The car was manufactured April 23, 1976.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_4047.jpeg

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Don't bother looking for a label tab attached to the rear diff cover, they first appeared on the 320i's and maybe the factory replacement diff's from the factory although not many diff's were replaced before we were into the 320i era. along with the stenciled "s" on the diff a factory lsd for the 02's had the s and lock up ratio stamped right below the gear ratio on the left nose. 

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I did a search on that Judson Electronic Magneto.  Interesting piece.  

WWW.THESAMBA.COM

Classified ads, photos, shows, links, forums, and technical information for the Volkswagen automobile

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I did a search on that Judson Electronic Magneto.  Interesting piece.  

WWW.THESAMBA.COM

Classified ads, photos, shows, links, forums, and technical information for the Volkswagen automobile

Thanks, very interesting. I'll be removing it and going back to stock (at least at first). I'll save all the bits, maybe someone has a real use for it. Seems like a solution looking for a problem.

• Like 1