• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identify Parts That Came With Project Car

Birdie

So I realize this post could go in the Parts section however, I am not really sure what these parts are (not exactly at least) and if it is worth posting them to Parts. Therefore, any input would be helpful.

I purchased a 2002 project / rolling shell over the weekend and it came with what I believe is a pile of 320 parts. I say this bc there is a 320 badge in the box and I don't recognize these parts from my '76 2002.

Therefore, it may be odd to ask a bunch of 2002 folks for some help on this but... I would love some guidance.

Firstly, I'd like to confirm that these are indeed 320 parts - among other things there are 2 brake boosters and neither looks like my '76 2002.

Secondly, the 2002 is missing a lot of parts and if 320 parts are more desirable and interchangeable with a 2002 should I use some of these parts (bigger brake booster, disc brakes, etc) when I reassemble the car or go with what I know.

Lastly, I really don't want parts piling up in my already cluttered garage. Are any of these parts desirable to the 320 crowd out there? I am not looking to make any money - could care less - just don't want to waste my time looking for a new home if these things aren't worth the trouble.

Btw - the last picture is some of the the good 2002 items that came with the car.

I assume these are 320 disc brakes There are actually 7 of them.

image.thumb.jpeg.277117d23f9ba02c60d5e40465c65b23.jpeg

320 harness? Which booster is what? Also, do 320 folks care about side mirrors and harnesses, etc? 

image.thumb.jpeg.41b25eb2a8621fcb10bce41803352d7a.jpeg

The quality of items goes down hill from here but I don't want to send things to the dump if there are folks out there that want such things. Again, I am not pitching them to this crowd, just asking your opinion if is worth posting these.. I don't really enjoy the logistics of selling items.

image.thumb.jpeg.8af396519b3371eea56a845b3354e79d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bf550d779ce8392ade443f379f6df285.jpeg

And just to meet the minimum 2002 content requirement - 3 working instrument clusters - one for an automatic (i assume bc clock no rpm). NOS taillights, 2 weber 32/36, windshield seal and chrome insert. Pretty cool to find in the trunk..

image.thumb.jpeg.074c40ca80dc08c4e77890125f5e8475.jpeg

There were other cool things but I won't bother posting about them as it is outside the scope of my inquiry.

Thoughts on what to do with the random 320 parts?

Edited by Birdie

27 minutes ago, Birdie said:

320 harness? Which booster is what? Also, do 320 folks care about side mirrors and harnesses, etc? 

image.thumb.jpeg.41b25eb2a8621fcb10bce41803352d7a.jpeg

Ok, so A looks like a tii booster, which would make it somewhat valuable.  See if you can find a part number to verify.  B looks like a pretty standard 2002/320 booster, likely the later as it has the integrated reservoir.  C are trunk vents.  See how many pins the ECU connector on that harness has.  25 = Jetronic, 35 = Motronic 1.0, and 3-row 55 pin = later Motronic 1.1 or 1.3.  Switches/stalks all look like standard 2002 fare to me, but unfortunately I don't recognize those calipers well enough to be able to venture much of a guess as to the brake parts, sorry! 

• Like 2

The calipers are for rear disc brakes might be off 323i or maybe VW some one will want them, the washer bottle is a 02 piece even has the cap, the wiring harness is not for a 02, the stuff from the trunk is all 02 stuff I'd be interested in the tail light lenses if you choose to sell.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Some of those e21 discs have the hubs still in them. If we can determine they are 81-83 e21 then I’d be interested in buying a set. If they are 77-79 then tii guys might be interested. They are used for vented brake (“big brake”) upgrades to 2002s

Edit: there are some photos with measurements in this thread for ID’ing the early larger bearing e21 hubs used for Tii conversions versus the later smaller bearing hubs used for standard 2002s.  

Edited by popovm
  • Like 1

wrong end, popov-

those are rear hubs.  E21 are different to 2002, but the depth of splines

is the only really easy way to tell which is which

My take is that someone was playing around with rear discs,

as those calipers don't look BMW to me...

Thanks for the pics!

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Top photo: 4 vw rear calibers. Looks like golf mk3. 3 rear hubs with maybe rabbit discs or something. Pair of E21 front discs, left maybe vented? If so then 323i. E21 rear discs have hand brake drums for tiny h/b shoes so none looks like those. MC/booster could be from E21. Engine harness looks like it’s from E30. Plug wire set is for E21/30 -style distributor cap.  Otherwise as stated - 02 stuff.

• Like 2

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91