• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Memes

yep, almost nothing that BMW has ever made is "rare" (as I personally define it).  

Now "rare" in a steak is a definitive thing, but "rare" in an automobile is a little more subjective.

When I began volunteering as a docent, I remember the owner walking me through the collection....

"....Mercedes Gullwing, blah, blah, blah,...not rare, blah, blah, blah, ...   BMW 328, blah, blah, blah, not rare, blah, blah, blah,...."

slowly I began to adopt his definition of rare (for which he had many)

Edited by 73tiiDavidPA
typo

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

In my head:

yeah, they made hundreds of thousands of the darned things-

they'll always be around

On C- list within 250 miles:

parts.thumb.png.c97248eb1383929605393567f2315864.pngshin1.thumb.png.8e0215e6dbea3b6c05db1ce1261ba921.pngshiny2.thumb.png.f31a1389c2121fd09397acb0690d82ae.png

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

What's rare is the 2002 I saw at the last Cars & Coffee event in Los Gatos.  It had an S52 from an E36 M3 slammed into it.  It was frick'n awesome. Sorry no pics.  There wasn't a lot of room left in that engine bay...

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

The original M5 is pretty rare, 1300 sold in the US?  The real unicorn is the E34 M540i. Better than the M5 but for some reason they only made 32 of ‘em. That’s legitimately rare. 

• Like 1

There are lots of rare prewar BMW as some are one off or single digit numbers produced. And even the larger production Numbers of e.g. Ihle Dixi didn’t leave many surviving. To me postwar variations of the 328 are some of the most desirable cars, Veritas, Holbein, AFM. Baum and many more derivates with lots of one offs were built in this period. A friend owned a lot of these like the AFM and Holbein that are now owned by BMW. As well as as various Veritas RS Komet and Meteor. A couple of coachbuilt 328s with one of the nicer being the Wendler convertible. 

Edited by uai

I can think of a couple of legitimately rare 2002s...there were only 200 2002 convertibles produced (vs about 1600 Turbos and approximately the same number of 1600 convertibles).  But there was only a single US spec 2002 convertible built--I've seen and driven it--it has a US VIN (257xxxx IIRC) and all the US bits.  When I drove the car it belonged to Carl Nelson--presume he still has it--and is the white 02 convertible in a Katy Perry music video.  

The story I got was that it was a factory order by an AF guy stationed in Europe.  He was going down the option list on his order, and one option was "cabriolet."  He checked the box, the factory built it and he got it.  

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

39 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

OK, here's tonight's meme for YOUNG AND OLD ( @Ireland Engineering)

Good one! I don’t think these old heads know what’s going on in this thread. Hmmm maybe that’s material for the next meme……

• Like 1

'67 1600 B Sedan Race Car #5

'72 2002 B Sedan Lite Race Car #13

'83 E30 323i Bauer M30B35 Swapped

On 6/26/2024 at 2:45 AM, Ireland Engineering said:

Bro you ARE older lololol what do you mean US younger haha

Ha! Isn’t he like 27 or something? That ain’t old…