• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identify this little piece... fell from shifter?

First step, determine if you have the old or new style linkage, unless you know the whole history of your car you need to crawl under and look. Then order the whole kit from one of our fine vendors Make sure it has the rubber mounts that go between the trans case and the shift tower, you'll need some loctite for those bolts and the guibo bolts and also order new nuts for the guibo bolts, thats all I have for now, I'm sure others will throw in here.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

@Sean Murphy, I hope this is not the identity of the piece you found, since it is supposed to reside on the inside of your transmission.  I was perusing EBay and came upon this item and thought, wow, that looks like Sean's mystery piece.  Not sure if that's it, but it bares close resemblence.

Says its a "stopper" for the transmission.  Part# 23231630123

WWW.EBAY.COM

GENUINE NEW BMW Set of 4 Stoppers. Our goal is to make you happy and we will make every reasonable attempt to resolve your issue.

spacer.jpg

spacer1.jpg

diag_3f18.png

• Like 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

8 minutes ago, bergie33 said:

since it is supposed to reside on the inside of your transmission

@bergie33, thank you for that moment of panic!  Ha!  Thankfully it looks different than that.  I may have to change my evening plans and crawl under the car so we can solve this mystery!
In addition to competing priorities, I've been trying to decide what I'd like to use to elevate the car in the garage for this, and future inevitable work.  I'm leaning towards a new floor jack and a set of Race Ramp Wheel Cribs to add 10" of clearance.  Maybe I'll do that shopping tonight instead 🙂

-Murph

'74 Fjord 2002tii - '72tii engine

'63 Turkis Beetle

Just now, Sean Murphy said:

@bergie33, thank you for that moment of panic!  Ha!  Thankfully it looks different than that.  I may have to change my evening plans and crawl under the car so we can solve this mystery!
In addition to competing priorities, I've been trying to decide what I'd like to use to elevate the car in the garage for this, and future inevitable work.  I'm leaning towards a new floor jack and a set of Race Ramp Wheel Cribs to add 10" of clearance.  Maybe I'll do that shopping tonight instead 🙂

-Murph

Oh, good.

Maybe take a few close up pic from different straight-on angles with it sitting on a piece of white paper.  Then use Google image search and see what comes up.  I tried based on your original pic, but I got every little black thing held between two fingers to come up.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

• 2 weeks later...

Well, still no idea what the mystery piece is.

@bergie33, I took your advice and took some additional pics to see what Google could come up with, and the closest matches were either a carp fishing sinker or an ancient Asian artifact.  

Anyway, I still have small leaks to contend with but replacing these two buggers with the ones from the Blunttech early rebuild kit made a HUGE difference.  There's very little play left at this point.

For anyone considering them, the RaceRamps two-piece wheel cribs worked out great. 

(note: I added some jack-stands under the front before crawling under)

-Murph

image.thumb.png.06654d9be7f760552db4e70fef910e19.png

image.thumb.png.3d5f5290497bf6d7818415c9993f7a79.png

• Like 2

'74 Fjord 2002tii - '72tii engine

'63 Turkis Beetle