• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this airbox usable?

Go to solution Solved by paulyg,

You can tell the bottom was re-welded. I drove my car for a little bit after buying it and hard to tell if there was an issue with it. I just took the engine out and will be swapping so won't need it. Wanted to make sure I could sell it or give it away. I saw another airbox and it looked a little different.

20240626_175820.jpg

20240629_160745.jpg

20240626_175836.jpg

4 minutes ago, paulyg said:

Yes it’s fine, it’s been modified to fit a Weber choke plate instead of the original Solex. 

oh okay, nice Thank you. I wasn't sure of all the different carbs they sold with the car. 

However...it appears that the air cleaner has been modified so that its weight is being borne by the carburetor.  The factory setup included legs that bolted to the manifold, so the air cleaner was supported on those legs instead of the carb.  While it's not a lot of weight, it will eventually cause problems, especially given the engine's soft mounts and thus lots of motion when operating.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

However...it appears that the air cleaner has been modified so that its weight is being borne by the carburetor.  The factory setup included legs that bolted to the manifold, so the air cleaner was supported on those legs instead of the carb.  While it's not a lot of weight, it will eventually cause problems, especially given the engine's soft mounts and thus lots of motion when operating.  

mike

Somebody actually messaged me to buy it so as long as they are happy with it