• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you all save your old parts?

I just completed a suspension refresh on the car and wanted to know what you all did with your old parts. 

I tossed things like rubber bushings, tie rods, and ball joints, but did you keep items like the original sway bars, springs, and control arms? I hate to take up space in the garage but if these things have value to the car's originality I don't mind keeping them. This is an open discussion not just with suspension bits.

Curious as to your thoughts.

'73 2002tii Fjord Blue Metallic

88' M6 Royal Blue Metallic

'14 i3 Laurel Gray Metallic

If it has functional value, yes.  

Old oil filters, no, I cut them apart to see what they've caught.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Absolutely items that as Toby says have functional value, for me or someone else. Things like sway bars I'd keep with the car. Control arms, unless trashed, are very usable.

Old wheel bearings, guibos, hoses, are trash. Old brake drums are interesting if you have a welder and like to build things. 

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

I save anything relevant to returning the car to original like springs, struts, steel wheels. 

I also saved my original upper bulge radiator hose and brass thermostat. I could probably still use them. 

I've thought of polishing the brass thermostat and putting it back on. 

42 minutes ago, 72pdx02 said:

I also saved my original upper bulge radiator hose

Wish I had saved mine...but I do have several brass thermostats...all were removed because they quit functioning...but they're pretty to look at when polished...

But to answer your original question, kmoy, I saved all my original bits that aren't consumables--springs, sway bars, undamaged lower suspension arms etc.  Never know when you (or someone else) might need 'em.  But then I'm a packrat...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Do I save all my old parts? Ask the wife, if you dare to stir that up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I've saved all the original parts from my '76 (since new) ...except the steering wheel. Way too big and the horn pad rattled, so I sold it to a club member in 1982. All other parts are labeled and boxed for replacement for a "die-hard" original nerd.

BTW, I only changed things that can be reversed back to original.

Ooops...I did drill a hole in the dash for a VDO clock, and a hole in the left steering wheel trim to relocate the hazard button.

John

Clock.thumb.JPG.2e4ed43818546f985014f9214cb7d8fd.JPG

HazardButtononLeft.thumb.JPG.7b94ee48d7b4436680ff35a414fb478b.JPG

• Like 1

No, unless it is rebuildable like an alternator. THere is a reason you replacing the part, probably because its broken and trash!

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Yes.  I save everything.  I even save old rubber parts and other consumables, that cant be used again, for reference.  Yes I have a sickness :)

• Haha 2

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

My goal is to liquidate my extra items once my current resto is done. I really want to see the walls of my garage again. 🙂 

• Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

19 hours ago, kmoy2002 said:

but did you keep items like the original sway bars, springs, and control arms? I

For the most part, yes😉

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris