• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone fitted a Southern Rods Aircon system?

Under the dash foam is a steel backing and just about enough room to slide your hand so it would take some doing but if you can source 90' outlets maybe.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Just thinking out load but maybe you could run you face level ducts along the top of the dash just in front of the defroster outlets.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Before I saw your comment I was just thinking maybe I could use the Gauge Pod like I have in my race car to house a couple of vents, would be at a better height than in the console or additional to the console?BMWconsolecentregaugepod.jpg.67ba809bb38ce75f47b448c678cbc199.jpg

There was a lesser know A?C conversion back when these cars were new that had a array of vents across the area of your gauge pod, someone will have a picture of it, I live in the Seattle area so A/C is not real big here yet.

George S Patton 

That's good information.  A wider box could be fabricated as you say to fit 3 or 4 rectangular vents that could be aimed at both passenger and driver?  I wonder if the fan in the Vintage Air or Southern Rods would be powerful enough to feed all the vents?  Presume the hose to the vents would have to be cut through the dash horizontal surface underneath the box - would that be possible?

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

There was a lesser know A?C conversion back when these cars were new that had a array of vents across the area of your gauge pod, someone will have a picture of it, I live in the Seattle area so A/C is not real big here yet.

I think you are referring to this one.  

IMG_3612.jpeg

IMG_3611.jpeg

IMG_3610.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow that is absolutely amazing!!!  What a fantastic job of fitting it.

I would love to have that and it looks factory.

I don't suppose that company is around any more?

Do you have a photo back a little further to show how it finishes against the Gauge cluster?

regards Mike

I would just add two vents, one in each of the old hvac holes for a total of 4. No cutting and they make vents that could pop right in. Vintage air even makes ducts that are thin enough to go left and right and stay under the dash. Lots of options. 

WWW.SUMMITRACING.COM

Find Vintage Air Heater Ducting Components and get Free Shipping on Orders Over $109 at Summit...

31 minutes ago, Highnote1 said:

I would just add two vents, one in each of the old hvac holes for a total of 4. No cutting and they make vents that could pop right in. Vintage air even makes ducts that are thin enough to go left and right and stay under the dash. Lots of options. 

WWW.SUMMITRACING.COM

Find Vintage Air Heater Ducting Components and get Free Shipping on Orders Over $109 at Summit...

Highnote what 2 HVAC positions are you referring to?  Do you mean the original heater controls?

Also how would you split the air piping over the 4 vents?

regards

Mike

7 minutes ago, Mike Rowe said:

Highnote what 2 HVAC positions are you referring to?  Do you mean the original heater controls?

Also how would you split the air piping over the 4 vents?

regards

Mike

Yup. Either side of the steering wheel. On the gen 2 mini use two for defrost, 2 for center, then split the third with duct and a splitter piece. Couple short runs of hose to the actual vents. Done!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike Rowe said:

Wow that is absolutely amazing!!!  What a fantastic job of fitting it.

I would love to have that and it looks factory.

I don't suppose that company is around any more?

Do you have a photo back a little further to show how it finishes against the Gauge cluster?

regards Mike

It looks like the company closed in the early 80's but you may still find some parts out there.  The Mark IV AC unit was also available as an under dash unit for a variety cars.

My father bought this car new in Florida on 3/71 and the AC was a $450 dealer add on.  It always worked pretty well and I don't think we ever really thought it needed more.  The dash vent vent is so well molded in that I did not realize that it incorporates the dash tray which I did not even realize 2002's had until a few years ago.  I removed the vent recently to see if I can repair the mouse chew some AH rodent made below the far right vent and now that I can see inside it's actually pretty clever how the cover and dash tray form a plenum.  I wouldn't think it would be very hard to replicate.   

IMG_6940.JPG

IMG_6941.JPG

IMG_6947.JPG

IMG_6948.JPG

IMG_6949.JPG

IMG_6951.JPG

IMG_6954.JPG

TME thanks for all the photos, it's great to see how they did it.  Great history information as well on what was done in the period!  I think it would have been very swish at the time and worked well given the height it was at.

Highnote1  When choosing which model aircon did you consider the Compac which is a little wider, and the Gen 11 Super which is wider but actually shorter in height?  The Compac being a little wider presumably would have a bit better performance.  Or do you think the width is crucial in fitting in between the glovebox? regards Mike