• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone fitted a Southern Rods Aircon system?

2 hours ago, Mike Rowe said:

Looks like they were always there.  Great job. I imagine the driver will now get plenty of air from these two, let alone the console vents as well.  I think you have sorted everything now.  The compressor should be straight forward.   

That’s the plan!

• Like 1

Hi Highnote, I have ordered my Vintage Air system here in Australia will receive Aug 5.  I have pulled out my HVAC two control panels (see photos) and have got my heater box mostly out but it is a nightmare to get at the heater hose from the back of the block which is refusing to let the heater go!!

The HVAC control holes have a fair bit of steel bracket behind which I am going to have to cut away to get the vent in and hose on....

Heater Box almost removed.jpg

Heater control removed for aircon vent.jpg

Heater control removed for aircon vent3.jpg

Interesting! My US square tail has none of that metal. I had to shave down very little with my dremel. 

but…you can do it! 

You are gonna have a head start on me! Painter got busy and my car is still being block sanded. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Highnote1 said:

Interesting! My US square tail has none of that metal. I had to shave down very little with my dremel. 

but…you can do it! 

You are gonna have a head start on me! Painter got busy and my car is still being block sanded. 

My car is a 7/74 square tailight.  The metal bit is actually a separate piece that bolts under the steering column support and is what the 2 HVAC slide controls screw to.  I may be able to remove it all together....  My car has been fully restored but just needs a Haltec wired in for the EFI then all the interior put back in, and then licenced.  The guy who built it is fastidious and I first bought a BMW 2002 race car off him (round tailight), and now this road one.  I am very lucky as it has the best of everything on it including all race suspension, brakes, stroker motor & LSD.

BMW at Collie chasing Don 2023 small.jpg

BMW 2002 Mk 2.jpg

BMW engine front.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike Rowe said:

Impossible to get at.

Yes, you have a lot going on with those individual coils and "distributor" at the back of the head.  Will the Haltech drive those coils directly?  If so, you could replace that "distributor/trigger" with a plug and get some more room back there.  Super clean looking build.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

22 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

Will the Haltech drive those coils directly? 

Absolutely.  They are LS1 "smart coils".   I used those on the M10 and until I went COP on the S14.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

5 hours ago, Mike Rowe said:

The problem was the heater hose and valave attached between the heater box, plenum and engine. Impossible to get at.

You may have discovered that some forethought will help when installing the hose clamps so a driver can get to them with the box installed.  The hose and or valve may need servicing in the future.

Edited by jimk
grammer
  • Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Have worked out the layout in my console fascia.

Available console internal width for fascia

Console internal top gap 210mm wide

Mid console 200mm wide

Bottom console 180 wide

Console Fascia Fabrication

Need Alloy sheet 2mm thick covered in foam and then black vinyl 

215mm wide at top x 300mm long with 10mm edge at right angles to attach to sides (approx. 250mm wide x 300mm long before bending sides)

Console Fascia Layout

Top:  2 vents   98.3 x 50 2 vents (196mm in total)

Middle:  Sony Stereo 178mm wide x 95mm high

Bottom: Aircon switches 135mm wide x 25mm high & hazard switch

Overall need approx. 200mm wide x 170mm height

Available fascia space 275mm from top to bottom

51mm air vents

62mm Aircon control panel

100mm Sony audio head

213mm total height = 62mm space = 15mm gap between each

Available fascia space width top to bottom

210mm top for 200mm vents 5mm gap each side

200mm mid for 178mm Sony audio 12mm gap each side

180mm bottom for 30mm button switch, 62mm Aircon Control panel and Hazard button r side 30mm  gap 12mm (4) between each

image.png.d233ac87a881ca58375d1cd257d36288.pngimage.png.d233ac87a881ca58375d1cd257d36288.png

image.png.52a4cd024a55763f2c5ac45184237fd7.png

image.png.8621145029897db8743ff102b9516585.png

• Like 1

Not sure how you feel about these, but I’m going with these knob type controls that you can remove from the plastic housing and just drill holes in face of center console. They come with stickers that show all the dial info. Kinda mimics the knobs on dash by the gauges and the old dealer installed systems. Cheaper too!

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Air-49200-RHA-Under-Control/dp/B002VVY76O/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=2LZPWMTXB0564&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.5eFNU-JUWNCv2vUTujRrOxoGyyitfo9uVvluitOEhHSyVOzjYfiohAf5uVqhkQofJpq8ExVeJP2IWghMNXXaihR3ztu9fMZWSlbk7B4ei9x0u4XELZCZNL1BziNlk5dHLTtAzMTIvOg-unZq_85-3aWVmRM2nHIqPFdtBDMAJh62VTnFHvwEcBv-jgtW9n50URqo3zsZPqWgxjYfScpjLA.faxCx96Xh0QP0RAkZzRhGw0JgmiqKrvmkopRd46yiJo&dib_tag=se&keywords=vintage+air+controls&qid=1722074519&sprefix=vintage+air+controls%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-2

• Like 1

Yes I thought of using those both for the price and also don't mind the look, but went for the other because it is lit.  I loved the next model up they make but way to expensive here, about $500!!

You are lucky you are in the US for all these bits, much cheaper than here in Aust.

Wouldn't swap countries with you though!

The Evaporator kit, extra vents, and control box have arrived!!  Hope it fits.........

Have also bought some speakers and an amplifier.

Have made an ally plate to cover where the heater box originally fitted and also a an alloy face plate for the console.

Vintage Air system has arrived!!.jpg

Received my HBD compressor bracket today so will fit that tomorrow.

Also received my Motorsport period leather steering wheel today from Belarus!

Came with postcard and fancy packaging but all in Belarusian.

BMW motorsport steering wheel from Belarus1.jpg

BMW motorsport steering wheel from Belarus postcard2.jpg

BMW motorsport steering wheel from Belarus back board.jpg

BMW motorsport steering wheel from Belarus postcard.jpg

• Like 1