• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Facebook Killing Car Forums like FAQ?

WWW.HAGERTY.COM

In this edition of Hagerty Great Reads, Sajeev Mehta explores the evolution, from forums to Facebook, of how auto enthusiasts interact online.

I thought this article was well-written in presenting the challenges forums face from social media platform.  2000FAQ is invaluable to me, but I can see how the convenience of Facebook is a threat. 

I look at facebook for pretty pictures, but ignore most comments as the advice given is generally poor to terrible, and disagreeing on facebook is usually a fast way into a pointless argument. For any constructive, knowledgable information the FAQ is the place to come, but Facebook certainly killed off tons of traffic to other forums (and probably here too). It's probably literally killed people with shitty advice too 🙂

• Like 2

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2024 at 8:42 AM, NickVyse said:

I look at facebook for pretty pictures, but ignore most comments as the advice given is generally poor to terrible, and disagreeing on facebook is usually a fast way into a pointless argument. For any constructive, knowledgable information the FAQ is the place to come, but Facebook certainly killed off tons of traffic to other forums (and probably here too). It's probably literally killed people with shitty advice too 🙂

It’s pretty intolerable over there. Sometimes I hold my nose and login to look at Facebook Marketplace if I need something specific and am striking out on craigslist, etc but I can’t abide the FB vibe for very long. Instagram is getting pretty bad too. 2002faq will always have a place just for the sheer amount of knowledge stored here. I hope FB isn’t hurting it too bad. 

• Like 2