• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Full resto - which look? (original, box or turbo flares)

Hi guys,

Bought a ‘68 1600 Chamonix white, with sun roof, love the round tail lights and the color. Car is complete, with running original numbers matching and running engine but needs a decent amount of welding, since it’s a European car (lhd). 
For my first post (and thank you for having me ), I’m looking for your opinions reg. the final look of the car. I really like the turbo flares, but maybe this would not be period correct. I believe the box fenders would be correct, but don’t like em that much. When using the turbo flares, I might be able to rescue/use the current rusty fenders, when cutting out the edges….? Which guidance would you give me if I want to get to best value in the end?

For the rest, I intend to stay with Chamonix white and do a full body resto, bare metal- paint job, while keeping the m10. Of course several parts will be renewed or upgraded (rubbers, bushes, shocks, brakes). Maybe I will go 5 speed and LSD, but not sure. In all honesty, I see

myself doing a next resto on a 2nd car already.

Cheers!

IMG_1205.jpeg

IMG_1203.jpeg

IMG_1346.jpeg

IMG_1349.jpeg

Looks like a good candidate for a restoration, Dutch. I like the subtle look of the Rabbit flares on a roundie, not as drastic as box or turbo but allows for larger/wider wheel/tire use. 

But it's yours, do what the heart feels! 

• Like 4

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

My opinion for what it’s worth.. no flares. Spend the money on other areas, like seat refurbishment or replacement with Recaros😉

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Originality brings top dollar, always. 5 speed conversions and LSD's are usually appreciated and don't ding value.

But if you don't care about ROI, do what you like.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Best value to some investor-collector?  Sell the car now and save yourself the trouble.

hemming and hawing over what someone else wants in a car kills any creative enthusiasm of a restoration for me.  These cars are a hotrodder’s European dream vacation…. not an investor-collector’s next big payout.

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 5

Do what makes you happy.  These cars are too fun not to drive, which means you should accept picking up rock chips and dings that might mar a concourse-ready paint job.  So unless you are buying as an investment, I’d go with your heart and not your head, and then drive the wheels of the car.

• Like 2

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Just to add the box flairs take a lot more work than the turbo flairs, the rabbit flairs are a bit more work than the turbo ones but IMHO look the best.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

You don't say anything about performance plans. I wouldn't put flares just for looks. Early roundies have really nice look in stock form.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

In the States, 1600s--espcially those with sunroofs--are not at all common; they were onlyl sold here until 1971, and 2002s outsold 1600s 88,000 to 12,000.  So if it were here, I'd say--a numbers matching 1600 with a sunroof?  Keep it original!  But it's

• your car
  • they're more common in Europe than in the States

So do what you wish.  I do agree with others in that from a value standpoint, a numbers-matching original will be worth more when it comes time to sell, but...see bullet points above.  

4 hours ago, 68gretchen said:

A little off your topic...but curious where the drains tubes go (front and rear) for the sunroof ?

Front drain hoses go down the A pillars and poke out in the upper corner of the body, behind the trailing edge of the front fender.  Look up there and you'll see 'em.  Rear drain houses run into...the rocker panel!  A very bad design, and why so many sunroof 02s have rusted out rockers behind the doors.  They're easy to re-route; I did a column on the process, so PM me if you'd like a copy.

mike

PS  Welcome to the FAQ and the 02 fraternity/sorority!

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thx guys, I wasn’t aware of the rabbit flares and like them! I think that’s the way to go with my roundie 👍. Looks awesome.

@Tommy is there a difference in the bodywork of the roundies vs the later models, except for the front and rear?

@NYNick in terms of value, I see turbo flared 02’s here in Europe priced about 10k higher than non-flared ones. That’s what I like about the BMW scene, the fact that there is value in upgrades that make the car better looking or driving, as long as the parts are BMW.

In terms of performance I am liking the M20B25 swap idea, there’s nothing like a screaming 6 cil. BMW engine, that pure mechanical SOHC sound in a hardly insulated car, should be awesome. But I should first take care of the body and paint. 

@68gretchen didn’t have a look yet at the drain tubes, but they should go via the A and C pillar down towards to rocker. I read somewhere that off factory BMW didn’t bother to guide the drain hose all the way down to bottom rocker level… So water can go to unwanted places. I expect to see quite some damage there.

17 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

In the States, 1600s--espcially those with sunroofs--are not at all common; they were onlyl sold here until 1971, and 2002s outsold 1600s 88,000 to 12,000.  So if it were here, I'd say--a numbers matching 1600 with a sunroof?  Keep it original!  But it's

• your car
  • they're more common in Europe than in the States

So do what you wish.  I do agree with others in that from a value standpoint, a numbers-matching original will be worth more when it comes time to sell, but...see bullet points above.  

Front drain hoses go down the A pillars and poke out in the upper corner of the body, behind the trailing edge of the front fender.  Look up there and you'll see 'em.  Rear drain houses run into...the rocker panel!  A very bad design, and why so many sunroof 02s have rusted out rockers behind the doors.  They're easy to re-route; I did a column on the process, so PM me if you'd like a copy.

mike

PS  Welcome to the FAQ and the 02 fraternity/sorority!

I posted a picture on another thread of where my fronts exit (A pillar just below the lower hinge) and understand the rears were dumped into the rocker. But it strikes me as curious why they took the effort to do the fronts as they did but didn't with the rears...?

Didn't mean to highjack this topic...onward !