• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Full resto - which look? (original, box or turbo flares)

The reason the rear drains were drained to the rockers is no one expected these cars to last more than 10 years.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

There is a reason why, in F1, they call out "Box, Box, Box" . Slap on some big ole pig cheeks and let her eat!!! 

That being said, I have been watching a bit of collector car feed and the S14 feeds.  A lot of those cars are "wrecked," aka butchered.  If you are going to do it, you need to do it right.  Don't phone it in or half-ass it. 

I have been putting a lot of thought into suspension/comfort. It is important that it is still a car that you want to drive, not just a collection of shiny cool parts and bragging rights on four wheels.

Don't build it for the next person; make it yours. Develop a clear plan and budget. 

Bodywork is a nightmare these days.  So many shitty ripoffs.  Line up the folks you need to get things done, and research your sources.  

Most importantly, do not, under any circumstances, take it apart until you have the money and people to do the work; otherwise, it will never get done, and it will be worth less than half in a dissembled state. 

Regards. 

• Like 6

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

15 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Slap on some big ole pig cheeks and let her eat!!! 

Hells yeah! But IMHO, this 1600 should stay slab-sided…

16 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Don't build it for the next person; make it yours

My motto. I’m 25 years into mine…

There IS no next person. It’ll be my funeral pyre.

Tom

• Like 5

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

54 minutes ago, visionaut said:

There IS no next person. It’ll be my funeral pyre.

Mine's going on the deck of my boat with a bilge full of napalm as I head east for the final voyage....

uh.... I need a bigger boat.

• Haha 2

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

17 minutes ago, OldRoller said:

Mine's going on the deck of my boat with a bilge full of napalm as I head east for the final voyage....

uh.... I need a bigger boat.

You'll need a new hat for the Viking funeral.

viking_PNG89.png

• Sad 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

I do apologize for my part in driving this bus (thread) way the hell off the road.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

George S Patton 

6 hours ago, Dutch02fan said:

@Mike Self thx for the add. info. I will keep the original engine with the car,

if I would do a swap. The flares, well….

Welcome, I love your enthusiasm and your questions. Definitely search the site for particular topics (e.g. m20 swap). If you go m20, no need to save the original motor - it won't be going back in cuz you'll have made some serious modifications to the engine bay. I was going to do an m20 and then decided on a turbo m10 cuz of the mods. 1.6l small turbo might be interesting.

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

Super, my take always: don’t build it for the next person, decide on flares (short list: original, rabbit or turbo), decide on engine swap and do m20 engine bay mods before paint job, do not take it apart before clear plan, budget and people are in place, make it a drivers car (never planned it otherwise), get a Viking helmet…

• Like 2