• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Full resto - which look? (original, box or turbo flares)

Both will be a solid amount of work but I'd lean toward the roof swap in this case b/c at least then you'd end up with (assumed) rust free working sunroof car. What I see there is a ton of repair in sometimes difficult to access locations + it's highly visible and you'd have to have perfect welding + panels to make it look right. 

I've never done a roof swap and so can't comment on that but I'd seriously consider it.

• Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

1 hour ago, Dutch02fan said:

IMG_1421.jpeg

Yow. Either does look like a lot of work. Definitely not my area of expertise. 

I do see what I think is a Golde wind deflector. I'd be interested in it if you wind up giving it up for cheap. But, I think cleaned up, you could probably use it to help fund your project as I think they fetch some decent $.

• Like 1

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

Remove the paint and take those areas back to clean metal, determine how deep the rust is. Some will be surface with decent metal under. The front left and right rear corner may need cutting out and small shaped panels welded in. Headliner needs to come out, likely will need replacing anyway. The underside will give you clues. 

A bit of work but doable. Much easier than cutting the whole roof section out.

• Like 2

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

1 hour ago, OldRoller said:

Remove the paint and take those areas back to clean metal, determine how deep the rust is. Some will be surface with decent metal under. The front left and right rear corner may need cutting out and small shaped panels welded in. Headliner needs to come out, likely will need replacing anyway. The underside will give you clues. 

A bit of work but doable. Much easier than cutting the whole roof section out.

Yes, I feel same about this, a complete replacement is not needed!

My thought on this is the rust you see is only a fraction of what is there. A few patch panels from the top and some wire wheel won't be nearly enough. Most likely the sunroof track itself is as rusty/gone. Seams too, all over. That metal starts to get really complicated (and awkward) to repair, really fast.

Perhaps the best answer is to buy the nice extra roof and use what you can to replace the really bad stuff on this one.

IMO both options aren't easy. But I'd consider replacing just the top roof panel (not cutting it at the bottom of the pillars). I don't have the link but I know I've read someone here who did it "back in the day". I remember thinking that it made sense (lining up pillars to reattach always seemed above my pay grade). 

Anyway - wanted to explain my position a bit more. I agree a complete replacement isn't needed, but it may actually be the best/easiest compared to the two.

• Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Replacing the roof panel with a good one is easier and faster than:

- Exposing/finding all the rust

- Determining how much MUST be cut out

- Determining if there is enough good metal to weld patches to

- Cutting out the rust

- Making well-fitting patches 

- Welding all the patches

- Sealing all the patches

- Then doing the requisite bodywork

Get a good panel, cut out the roof and start welding.

• Like 2

J.B.

6 - ‘02s and counting

I'm late to the discussion,  here's my 02 cents worth.  I'm from the school of keeping early roundies original looking.  If you want to modify the body, go find a square tail light 02.  The factory already screwed up the look with diving board bumpers.  

As for the sunroof, my former 74 2002 was a slicktop and my 02 parts car had a sunroof.  I cut the slicktop off, then cut the sunroof clip off and had a body shop weld it on. Routed sunroof drain hoses. Upholstery shop put in a new headliner then installed windows. Measure carefully before cutting.  I lived in So Cal at the time and the sunroof was open most of the time. No regrets!

• Like 2

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

On 7/22/2024 at 9:07 PM, Dudeland said:

That is what I am talking about.  I can't imagine what one goes for. If mine hadn't already been liveried as a turbo when I got it,  I would have gone pig cheeks for sure. 

BTW Progress.   Getting excited a tiny bit. 

IMG_5606.thumb.jpeg.ee625ff68dfa5282418eeeb741c9aad8.jpeg

IMG_5607.jpeg

dUDELAND,

What is the story on these seat rails?  What seats are you installing?

Nice work.

Light is seriously underrated.

3 hours ago, BeMyWay said:

dUDELAND,

What is the story on these seat rails?  What seats are you installing?

Nice work.

I am mounting E30 sport seats that I restored over the winter.  I have the seats installed, and they are "acceptable." 

When you install the E30 seats, you really need to cut the transmission tunnel to position them correctly; otherwise, they are skewed towards the door.  Only I can tell. 

I am about to cut the transmission tunnel to accommodate a 6-speed, so at that time, I may move them inboard about 1"

It is all good.  I will update my blog shortly so you can see them.  Just waiting on door panels and.. um... what is that thing... with the sweaters....oh ya.. Christmas.   Seriously,  wow, I have no time. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002