• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 1600 convertible, early dash design and radio suggestio

i am looking to fit in a more period correct radio for that 1600 convertible that i am working on.

the ash tray location and console is a bit different.

i would like to find a blaupunkt radio with the speaker into the same faceplate similar to this, but i dont find proper image for reference...

any ideas ?

thanks (i posted it too into the parts wanted section)

IMAGE FOR REFERENCE ONLY

OIP.ULpfnm9Pa94NM5wNTc7TMQHaFj?rs=1&pid=

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

My '69 came of course with a short console, and the "bridge" piece that holds the two side pieces together is vinyl covered pressboard.  When I bought and installed an aftermarket radio (good ole JC Whitney!), I hung it from the bridge piece in front, and from the ashtray bracket at the back.  I didn't use the speaker grille as shown in the picture you posted as it blocked the storage cubby, but installing the radio was easy.

IIRC on your convertible--with the chrome trim strip on the dash--has the ashtray integrated into the chrome strip, leaving the bridge piece blank. If there's no bridge piece at the back of the console (up under the dash) it would be easy enough to make one (it won't show) and hang the radio front and back, and make a thin plywood cutout to support the speaker and its grille.  It uses, IIRC, a 4"x 6" speaker.  As I'm sure you know, older Blaupunkts (that would be period for your car) are dual voltage/dual polarity units, so can easily be made to work with your 6 volt car.

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

3 hours ago, uai said:

image.thumb.jpeg.2e07e88415f6a9790b18cf249e1f9cad.jpeg

that would be close to what i am looking for, and i dont want to fab out anything. its not like i am not able as i do all my own audio stuff.

i want to see if its possible to get a period correct radio for that 1600 convertible. the old man who owns it want it to be as close to possible as oem.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

4 hours ago, PatAllen said:

the old man who owns it want it to be as close to possible as oem.

OEM, you could order one of these, then find a Blaupunkt Frankfurt or Becker Europa from the 70's.  @esty had a number of period correct radios for sale awhile back.

Mark92131

WWW.WALLOTHNESCH.COM

Radio installation kit for all 02 models from 1971 up including: loud speaker, radio trim frame and mounting material

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

They are not an off-the shelve item nad NLA but with a bit of searching and time on your hand you should be able to source it.
If you're not lucky in the US I can ask around - expect the complete set - radio speaker and the correct bezels and brackets etc.  in the 400€-500€ range

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, uai said:

They are not an off-the shelve item nad NLA but with a bit of searching and time on your hand you should be able to source it.
If you're not lucky in the US I can ask around - expect the complete set - radio speaker and the correct bezels and brackets etc.  in the 400€-500€ range

its obvious that its not an on the shelf item for a 50+ year old radio.

i found some on ebay that looks almost identical.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

7 hours ago, 72pdx02 said:

Here is the original short console in my 67 for reference with a Becker Avus radio. 

IMG_2028.jpeg

awesome. now to find anything close in good condition i guess its almost impossible.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

Hi @PatAllen, here is a short video of me driving my customer's restored (but original specification) 1970 1600 Cabriolet back home from last November's SoCal Vintage BMW show, following my girlfriend in our '73 tii.

If you pause around the 6-7 second mark there is a good shot of the original Blaupunkt radio and dash/console.

Edited by cda951
  • Like 1

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff