• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ronal Kleeblatt Lugs?

Go to solution Solved by uai,

All,

I acquired a set of Ronal Kleeblatt alloys (thanks @JohnS) and am looking for a set of lug nuts that fits these rims. Standard mag lug nuts don't fit. The standard shank is too long and the shank diameter is too narrow. The best reference I can find to something that might work is a cryptic allusion on the VW Bus forums to a company called "reprotec" that made lugs to fit these. I have found a plethora of options for shank style lugs with shorter shanks, ranging from 0.33" to 0.5" vs. the standard 0.76". If I'm going through all this trouble I may as well match the shank diameter too.

Any good options or should I just put conical seats in these rims?

Paul

6 hours ago, paulyg said:

Incredible… how on Earth did you find those. 

The FAQ has eyes everywhere. Literally… uai is in Europe. :) I’ve definitely seen him post some parts sources that aren’t on my US-centric radar. This forum and its members are pretty incredible. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, popovm said:

The FAQ has eyes everywhere. Literally… uai is in Europe. :) I’ve definitely seen him post some parts sources that aren’t on my US-centric radar. This forum and its members are pretty incredible. 

yup pretty incredible....even with names like uwaiuauaaaaaioooo....

The original Ronal lugs for those wheels are made of light alloy, like the wheels. Ronal made two different lengths. I have the longer ones, but the shorter ones work and look better. I don't have enough of the original lugs, so I just use two per wheel and placed shank style lugsI  I purchased at Pep Boys on the other wheel studs. Note the different lugs on the pic. The gold ones are the original Ronal lugs. I picked them up along with the wheels at the local self service U-Pick Part salvage yard during the late 90s for about $40 for the entire set of four wheels. Those were the days when ordinary people on a budget can afford these cars before everything went through the roof. That's why there are fewer people on this board. At the time, I contacted Ronal, which had a facility in Southern California. And, they told me their supply of the lugs was long gone. Evidently another 02 owner purchased the last set of lugs and the last wheel they had sitting on the shelf. So, somebody beat me to it. Good luck finding anything associated with the wheels. Try the VW sites like Samba. I've also seen the wheels on Alfas.

31.png

Edited by Zak
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update. The lug nuts arrived today. The lug holes on at least two of the wheels need to be cleaned up to accept the lug nuts. The wheel where the new lugs fit was the one that was clunking. All the lug nuts fit in the backsides of all the holes just fine. 

I am having trouble finding out what the correct fit of shank-style lug nuts should be. Has anyone had experience cleaning up shank-style lug holes at home? I'm thinking of getting a shallow chamfer bit and knocking down the lip that has formed that is interfering with the nut installation. 

20 minutes ago, paulyg said:

Update. The lug nuts arrived today. The lug holes on at least two of the wheels need to be cleaned up to accept the lug nuts. The wheel where the new lugs fit was the one that was clunking. All the lug nuts fit in the backsides of all the holes just fine. 

I am having trouble finding out what the correct fit of shank-style lug nuts should be. Has anyone had experience cleaning up shank-style lug holes at home? I'm thinking of getting a shallow chamfer bit and knocking down the lip that has formed that is interfering with the nut installation. 

Ugh! Yes, my Kleeblatts are boogered as well. It looks like quite a bit of cleanup to have a flat shoulder inside those lug holes!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Cleaned them up last night, went on the car just fine. Drove around today and all signs are good (and the wheels look great). I’ll be checking the torque fairly often. I stuck with Paul Wegweiser’s rec from another thread to torque period alloy nuts to ~70ft*lbs instead of my usual 90.  

• Like 2