• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

first post Misfire help!

hello just joined but not at all new to m10s and motors ,

need help figuring out a misfire this is for a 518i e12 that i dropped a 2.0L into anyway engine has ran over 10,000 miles rebuilt by me , now im getting a misfire that is more noticeable when hot , when hot very noticeable driving midrange cut out  almost clears up ,up top.

32\36carburetor was cleaned  accelerator valve is working haven't checked power valve ,would that affect idle?

i dont believe its a carb issue to be honest , i sprayed carb spray no change in idle , dont believe its a vacuum leak either 

ok were left with ignition , if i had to describe the feeling it  feels like its one cylinder has a bad spark plug or wire.

new wires new cap new rotor new plugs , 12v at the coil  ,yes coil is the right ohms for the petronix. swapped coils with a new one its not the coil, 

the only thing left is the distributor or petronix, im not too familiar with distributor and petronix failures i checked the dizzy and there's quite a bit of play up and down but not so much from side to side. everything else looked normal , have to say i feel like the new rotor is already worn a bit at the tip  on one side more then the other ?

it gets worse when hot it almost like intermittent at idle but is almost underivable keep cutting out when its really hot , i wonder... it might just have to be a bad distributor or petronix , 

thanks for any help much appreciated 

There has been many noted issues with Pertronix systems when getting hot or after a driving for a bit, they start to cut out   If you still have your old points and condensor set up, I would pop those back in, not worry about the coil voltage, you won't be running them long enough to burn out a set of points and if you do, so what, this is just for elimination process

Thanks, Rick

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bavarian said:

there's quite a bit of play up and down

Shim the distributor shaft and replace the fiber washer and O-ring.

A hot engine can pump thin oil into the dizzy and foul the PerTronix if the shaft has excessive axial play.

Use an inductive timing light on each plug when it's misfiring.  

If it's not getting spark, the light won't flash.  

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Test light on neg side and ground to body,spin the engine over via wrench at crank. It should light at every cylinder or when the points close

'67 Derby Grey VW Beetle

'76 Inka BMW 2002