• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

18 hours ago, tech71 said:

Don’t remove it, it appears to have adhered quite well to that painted surface so why bother? Just apply your chosen suitable adhesive over it.

It will adhere to what’s there quite nicely.

That sides not the problem, the shop failed to prep/degrease/remove mold release from seal adequately if at all.

Do what SOM says to prep the seal, then do it again. It’s a total time consuming PITA. I’ve found it helps to clamp the seal to a board a section at a time with spring clamps. Holds it in place so you’re not flailing around with the bloody thing the whole time your trying to scrub it.
Speaking of spring clamps…your going to need a lot of them😉

Quite skeptical of the Mastic stuff and you want to talk about something hard to get off your painted surface? That be it.

I’m with Toby on the 3M super trim.

Yes, I'm not going to bother removing the old adhesive from the body and properly prep the seal. I'm still going to give the Mastik a shot. None of the other adhesives suggested are available in Canada. 

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

17 hours ago, Mike Self said:

And just to disappoint you a little...my trunk seal has been installed now since1991, with a partial reinstall after a little shunt about six years ago.  And those two rear corners still periodically come loose and have to be re-glued (yeah, with the proper black stuff) and eleventy-million bulldog clamps.  Part of 2002 ownership:  periodically re-gluing your trunk gasket.  

mike

PS--put the seam at the 6 o'clock position; that's the way the factory did it.  No water leakage through the gap as there would be if in the 12 o'clock position.

The seam is at 6 o'clock. Just haven't figured out which clamps to use. Bulldog or clothes pegs. 

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

11 minutes ago, Senna27 said:

I looked for the 3M Super Trim Adhesive but couldn't find it locally. Canada lacks the selection of stuff available in the US. I did find one called 3M Super 77 Multi-Purpose Adhesive, but I'm assuming it's not the same. My friend, who gave me the can of Mastik used it to glue trim and seals on his Porsche and he said it's really good. I also like the fact that it's brush on, as opposed it being in a spray bomb. 

I think 3M are happy to rationalize their product lines in markets where they are marginal - it’s business after all.

As I said in my earlier post, you could get their black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive widely here in Oz, but now not imported. I spoke to the national service manager at 3M and he said there are too many similar products and we are only 25 million people. He did suggest the Permatex equivalent as a very good alternative  and indicated they had eaten a lot of 3M’s market share. 

I would have thought in Canada - being adjacent to continental U.S. - the 3M product/s would be widely available 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Has anyone tried gorilla glue? Or maybe rubber cement?

I tried heavy duty contact cement, but as others have mentioned, the issue is with properly prepping the seal. 

• Like 1

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

4 minutes ago, zambo said:

I think 3M are happy to rationalize their product lines in markets where they are marginal - it’s business after all.

As I said in my earlier post, you could get their black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive widely here in Oz, but now not imported. I spoke to the national service manager at 3M and he said there are too many similar products and we are only 25 million people. He did suggest the Permatex equivalent as a very good alternative  and indicated they had eaten a lot of 3M’s market share. 

I would have thought in Canada - being adjacent to continental U.S. - the 3M product/s would be widely available 🤔

Canada has a population of 40 million, so much smaller market than the US. They have a much wider selection there. While you can order stuff from the US, once you factor in the exchange, shipping, duty etc. it becomes way too expensive. 

• Sad 1

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

15 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Yeah, but 3m is in Minnesota which is practically in Canada 😁.

Yeah, just that stupid border gets in the way. 😏

• Like 1

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

2 hours ago, chargin said:

Mine has routinely come lose over the last 5 years 

Uh huh, always comes loose here.

going to try something different this time, got it on the shelf so why not

4327F4A1-2201-473F-806B-BA109220259A.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

11 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Uh huh, always comes loose here.

going to try something different this time, got it on the shelf so why not

4327F4A1-2201-473F-806B-BA109220259A.jpeg

image.jpg

Give it a try. The seal wouldn't be such an issue if it didn't suck so many fumes into the cabin without it in place.

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

oooo, that may work.  Neoprene is pretty hard to get anything to stick to. 

On the other hand, it may dissolve your old seal.  Back in the good old 'better living through chemistry and liver cancer'

days, you had to test the solvent on both surfaces- to see if it would stick, and also to see if it'd dissolve the whole mess first.

When in Foreign Lands, go into your local auto body supplier and ask for adhesive-

the supply places can't afford to sell things that don't work, and they have a regular,

repeat customer base (not 'consumer crap') so they know what the shops are buying-

and what they're bringing back unused, for a refund.

GM gets things to stick... with a different design.  Gluing a seal in place is a hack, and if you

pull a seal off a more modern car, the only adhesives you'll find will be to keep water out.

Everything else will be push-in fasteners, edge bead crimps, or some other mechanical means.

These cars were cranked out in a hurry by a company that was about to go under-

gluing on the seal was a 5 year solution for a 5 year car.

t

• Like 4

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 minutes ago, TobyB said:

On the other hand, it may dissolve your old seal

BE sure to try it on the paint in some out of sight area.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

16 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Back in the good old 'better living through chemistry and liver cancer'

days

Yeah, it’s pretty awful, tolulene, mek. Nasty.

Hate to think how many brain, liver whatever cells I fried back in those good old days.

Will give it a try on that corner but since it’s “dry tack free and join” not really suitable for whole seal  installs. Only get one shot at it😉

Bet a dollar you can’t even buy it CA anymore.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

22 hours ago, tech71 said:

Yeah, it’s pretty awful, tolulene, mek. Nasty.

Hate to think how many brain, liver whatever cells I fried back in those good old days.

Will give it a try on that corner but since it’s “dry tack free and join” not really suitable for whole seal  installs. Only get one shot at it😉

Bet a dollar you can’t even buy it CA anymore.

The Permatex Super I bought has still has all that cool stuff in it … 😵‍💫

image.jpg

• Confused 1