• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

36 minutes ago, popovm said:

Anything us US folks can do for the Canadians, i.e. ship some of the 3m stuff as a “gift” or will the mounties getya? 

Ha, I appreciate the offer. I'm going to try the Mastik first, since I already have a can of it.

• Like 1

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

9 minutes ago, Senna27 said:

Ha, I appreciate the offer. I'm going to try the Mastik first, since I already have a can of it.

Nice. The adhesive smuggling offer is still on the table if that doesn’t work out. “Operation Black Maple Syrup”,  if you will. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just have 3m deliver what you need to Moosealvania (it's just outside of frostbite falls MN) then wait for these guys to row the island to Canada.

x720

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

12 minutes ago, popovm said:

Nice. The adhesive smuggling offer is still on the table if that doesn’t work out. “Operation Black Maple Syrup”,  if you will. 😄

Ha, that made me LOL. 😃

• Like 1

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

I tossed my BMW trunk seal in the washer with a load to strip the mold release, air dried.  3M Super Weatherstrip glue and clothes pins to keep it clamped while drying.  Good to have an extra set of hands while you are gluing and clamping.

Mark92131

IMG_3328.JPG

• Like 4

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Mark way to think outa the box, hope it works out it would save a lot of very boring work.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

13 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

I tossed my BMW trunk seal in the washer with a load to strip the mold release, air dried.  3M Super Weatherstrip glue and clothes pins to keep it clamped while drying.  Good to have an extra set of hands while you are gluing and clamping.

Mark92131

IMG_3328.JPG

Nice, now I know how many clothes pins I need. I was going to hit the Dollar Store to grab some. I was also thinking of taping the corners down for 24 hours or so, since they're the points that need to bond the strongest. And yes, I will employ a second set of hands.

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Posted (edited)

Success? Time will tell.

Off topic, but it’s nice to be a member of RCLUB where I can work on my car 24 hours a day. You can book one of the two lifts or the wash bay any time. Comes in very handy. 

IMG_4795.jpeg

IMG_4796.jpeg

IMG_4800.jpeg

IMG_4803.jpeg

Edited by Senna27
  • Like 5

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

3 hours ago, Senna27 said:

nice to be a member of RCLUB

Ah Toronto.... so far away. Nice digs, I bet that's a lot of fun.

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

15 hours ago, Senna27 said:

Success? Time will tell.

Off topic, but it’s nice to be a member of RCLUB where I can work on my car 24 hours a day. You can book one of the two lifts or the wash bay any time. Comes in very handy. 

IMG_4795.jpeg

IMG_4796.jpeg

IMG_4800.jpeg

IMG_4803.jpeg

I like the clips, where did u buy it? Canadian Tire? Dollarama? Princess Auto? HD?  I’m also from Toronto and ready replace my rear seal too. What’s the rationale having the pink on the corners? Are those clips supposed to be stronger being the corners need that extra attention?

1 hour ago, TNan said:

I like the clips, where did u buy it? Canadian Tire? Dollarama? Princess Auto? HD?  I’m also from Toronto and ready replace my rear seal too. What’s the rationale having the pink on the corners? Are those clips supposed to be stronger being the corners need that extra attention?

I bought the clamps at Dollarama. They’re all the same. When I was picking them out, my wife said, what, you’re not gonna get some pink ones? lol

The clamps work well but they’re cheap. Only open them far enough to get it over the seal. If you open them all the way, they’ll break. 

Just be sure to prep the surface of the seal by sanding it, then wiping down both surfaces with alcohol. The Mastik One seems to be good. 

Apply adhesive to both surfaces, let it dry for 24 hours then apply one more thin coat to the body, let dry 3 to 4 minutes then install the seal.

I started by lining up the seam in the seal with the trunk lock, worked my way to the right rear corner, then quickly clamped that corner. Next, I worked my way from the trunk lock to the left rear corner, then clamped that corner in place. Since those are the two sharpest radius corners, I wanted to have the least amount of tension on them. Next, I continued towards the front of the car around the left corner, then continued on the right side and around the right corner, clamping both those, then finished off the straight section at the front of the trunk. It says it’s fully bonded in 24 hours so I left it to sit overnight with the clamps on. I’m going to take them off this morning.  

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

11 hours ago, Senna27 said:

I bought the clamps at Dollarama. They’re all the same. When I was picking them out, my wife said, what, you’re not gonna get some pink ones? lol

The clamps work well but they’re cheap. Only open them far enough to get it over the seal. If you open them all the way, they’ll break. 

Just be sure to prep the surface of the seal by sanding it, then wiping down both surfaces with alcohol. The Mastik One seems to be good. 

Apply adhesive to both surfaces, let it dry for 24 hours then apply one more thin coat to the body, let dry 3 to 4 minutes then install the seal.

I started by lining up the seam in the seal with the trunk lock, worked my way to the right rear corner, then quickly clamped that corner. Next, I worked my way from the trunk lock to the left rear corner, then clamped that corner in place. Since those are the two sharpest radius corners, I wanted to have the least amount of tension on them. Next, I continued towards the front of the car around the left corner, then continued on the right side and around the right corner, clamping both those, then finished off the straight section at the front of the trunk. It says it’s fully bonded in 24 hours so I left it to sit overnight with the clamps on. I’m going to take them off this morning.  

This was a great description but “Apply adhesive to both surfaces, let it dry for 24 hours” - is 24hour to long before moving to the next step (adding a thin coat)?  I never did this before so I don’t want to mess it up.

It'a a tough job to get a good seal because the oil drains from the block and across the bottom flange forever (unless the engine hasn't been run forever).

• Confused 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

2 hours ago, TNan said:

This was a great description but “Apply adhesive to both surfaces, let it dry for 24 hours” - is 24hour to long before moving to the next step (adding a thin coat)?  I never did this before so I don’t want to mess it up.

No, you want it to dry completely on both surfaces, for 24 hours before you install the seal. After 24 hours, you apply a thin bead to the body side and wait 3 to 4 minutes before you start sticking it down. These are the Mastik One instructions. Two days later, I’d say it worked perfectly. 

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

2 hours ago, jimk said:

It'a a tough job to get a good seal because the oil drains from the block and across the bottom flange forever (unless the engine hasn't been run forever).

Huh? Wrong thread maybe…

2010 Toyota Matrix XR