• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Someone is K-swapping

2 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Exhaust is a nightmare

Others things to keep you from sleeping with a K swap:

exhaust

intake

clutch/Transmission

driveshaft

ecu and harness

radiator 

plumbing hoses 

dump the BMW Transmission and go Honda for sure 

look at 625inc who swaps k’s into BMW’s 

++Motor Mounts++ hard factor

after that it’ll be easy 

👍😅👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

I have K24 2002 swap motor/trans mounts now, but I've been holding off mentioning them until my K24 swapped S30 was running. Yesterday I drove the K swap 260z around the block. Still a few issues to sort, but it'll be on the road by the end of the weekend. Since the swap was done entirely in CAD I would strongly prefer to help someone locally do the swap so I know everything fits as designed before I sell any. There are a few very tight clearances around the steering box, center steering link, and with the K24 thermostat housing.

The hardest part of the swap will be the header. The rest of the swap is very similar to the F20 swap. I'm using the S2000 transmission on my Z with an adapter plate(<$300), K swap flywheel from clutchmasters, and S2000 clutch. K swap vs F swap driveshaft is no different in complexity. The K power cast intake fits with a standard brake booster. ECU/harness isn't a problem, I'm using Hondata Kpro and an off the shelf RWD swap harness. Cooling will be the same as the F swap with different radiator hoses. The oil pan needs modified and I've made the parts necessary to do that, some of the aftermarket pans may work. Trans tunnel needs cut like the F swap, though I have no plans to make a nice cap piece like Chargin offers.

Either swap is going to be expensive and the F swap is definitely easier since it came from a RWD car and Chargin offers other fabricated parts to complete the swap. With the price of F series motors the overall swap cost is probably comparable, but if your motor fails the replacement K is available all day for under $1000 and with millions made will remain cheap.

I've started to document the Z on hybridZ which is basically dead now. Once I've organized all of my notes I'll post a spreadsheet with the cost breakdown, links to forum posts/articles/videos I found helpful, and a list of issues I ran into during the swap.

• Like 7

New M20 swap mounts when I get around to welding them up. I should make this font smaller because it may never happen...🙃

'71 2002 Restomod under the knife, 2012,...2018, 2019 it will run again! 2024? IDK

'74 260z K24 swap

K swap everything! Lol.

I'd love to eventually do a 12A N/A rotary swap in mine. About the same weight and dimensions, way more power potential than the m10, plus the brapppies.

I don't think it's been done yet, maybe for good reason though...

Edited by 72MetallicMalaga

'72 Metallic Malaga 2002 with a '73 M10 | Dual Weber DCOE 40s | E21 5spd and LSD | Pertronix II

10 hours ago, Georges said:

Do your 2002 drawings retain A/C?

Yep, OEM K24 AC compressor in the factory location.

10 hours ago, 72MetallicMalaga said:

I'd love to eventually do a 12A N/A rotary swap in mine. About the same weight and dimensions, way more power potential than the m10, plus the brapppies.

I don't think it's been done yet, maybe for good reason though...

There have been a few rotary swaps, but the last one I saw posted was 12-14 years ago. Quick search brings up this on a RX7 forum.

image.thumb.jpeg.1c4c97d2d0dc8f62cdc210fb80a85e20.jpeg

Edited by manimal
dorito engine
  • Like 3

New M20 swap mounts when I get around to welding them up. I should make this font smaller because it may never happen...🙃

'71 2002 Restomod under the knife, 2012,...2018, 2019 it will run again! 2024? IDK

'74 260z K24 swap

18 hours ago, Georges said:

Do your 2002 drawings retain A/C?

S2002 with OEM Honda compressor 

Brand X non A/C mount vs A/C compliant motor mount, the Non A/C mount bolts onto the A/C bracket vs, attaching to the motor mount hard points on the block

VS.thumb.jpeg.17d8bf03e4f3b5a4dfca988335b45ef9.jpeg

mount in place without compressor so you can see how it fits 

AC(5).thumb.jpeg.d02693f6120bb4f11c6a0f5789839dd2.jpeg

I’ve never looked at a K series compressor 

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

There's a local shop to me that just did one. I got to check it out today. Pretty rad!

WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

413 likes, 10 comments - 22rpd on June 30, 2024: "Wrapped this guy up the other day. Very cool swap. This setup made a ~250whp and has power and revs for days. It takes the beauty of the 2002 and brings it to the modern era. While the M10 is a fantastic engine the modern Honda...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

12 hours ago, roadhog0 said:

There's a local shop to me that just did one. I got to check it out today. Pretty rad!

WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

413 likes, 10 comments - 22rpd on June 30, 2024: "Wrapped this guy up the other day. Very cool swap. This setup made a ~250whp and has power and revs for days. It takes the beauty of the 2002 and brings it to the modern era. While the M10 is a fantastic engine the modern Honda...

Noticed that yesterday too!

IMG_4160.jpeg

IMG_4162.jpeg

IMG_4161.jpeg

• Like 1