• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74-76 door card chrome strip vs Aluminum door cards. Advice?

Hey folks.  I got the seats and carpet in.  The carpet is temporary as the RX8 transmission will likely dictate a new carpet, as well as the seat mounts (that is a thing that future Dudeland will have to deal with).

My door panels are butchered with speakers and have generally turned to pudding from the door handle down. 

I am debating going with aluminum door panels like the ones below, but I feel that I am giving up on OEM door panels. 

Is there anywhere where I can get the whole new panel?  World upholstery doesn't supply the chrome strip.  I know others have used mylar tape to recover their strip, but my strips are cut due to the stupid speaker install. 

I am not a big fan of the look, but I have limited options.   Any help would be appreciated. 

Regards

image.thumb.png.8d143ccdea059e9c522db9227455631a.png 

THETURTLELAB.COM

Shown in a wrinkle black finish, this was for product images and we do not currently offer this finish. The flat black powder coat option is a matte black finish without no texture.  This listing is for a pair of FRONT and REAR BMW 2002 (E10 chassis) door cards that are intended to replace...

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

1974-1976 style are $650 from World Upholstery and its a DIY kit you have to assemble your self. 

I think getting the $250 73 style door panels is the move. 

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

@DudelandI purcahsed my complete door panels from the link below. Although the manufacturer is in Turkey I received them within 5 days. Great to work with. Easy to install all you will need to purchase additionally are the green clips.

For BMW E10 2002 1966-1977 Interior Door Panel With Chrome Trims Black 2pcs

Edited by Mike Nance

3 minutes ago, Mike Nance said:

manufacturer is in Turkey

Good price for a pair... black, blue or tobacco. 

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Those aluminum door cards look pretty darned un-inviting. You may be driving alone…. 🙄

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Just a thought, but if you go with the OEM panels, I would recommend covering the backside of the panel with a clear coat of polyurethane to keep the board stable even if it gets wet.  I had this done to my original door cards when I had them redone last year, came out great. 

• Like 2

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

3 hours ago, Mike Nance said:

@DudelandI purcahsed my complete door panels from the link below. Although the manufacturer is in Turkey I received them within 5 days. Great to work with. Easy to install all you will need to purchase additionally are the green clips.

For BMW E10 2002 1966-1977 Interior Door Panel With Chrome Trims Black 2pcs

4 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

1974-1976 style are $650 from World Upholstery and its a DIY kit you have to assemble your self. 

I think getting the $250 73 style door panels is the move. 

Those look nice, but the 74-76 are different than the 67-74. It is one of the only rare things about a 74-76. 

They look like the one below (bottom pic). The chrome trim is butchered on mine, and it is NLA.  See Part # 2 below 

If I can go with the OEM look, I was thinking something completely different. 

#SadPuddingDoorCards :) LOL 

image.thumb.png.01352f5530cdb64589c31487614f53a6.png

image.thumb.png.f48b31ac8a1f4b201ed4a19803720f16.png

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I think you are overthinking this.

Get some 6mm plywood, cut out the shape, upholster it however you like, and put a good vapor barrier on the door.

I tend to use exposed fasteners, and make sure they look intentional.  That makes things that much easier for mounting.

$150 in materials, a weekend of easy craft project, and move on.  When you decide exactly what you want, and 

find it, then you can sell your homemade ones here for $200 US and make a few dollars for the weekend.

Because the original door cards were a DM50 solution cribbed from VW and not executed all that well.

(it got worse- I still have Jim's 318ti, and THOSE door cards must have been coped from a Ferrari, they're so bad)

Aluminum is not for a street car- every flat, reflective surface will make noise a lot more annoying....

t

DIY and done.

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

3 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Those look nice, but the 74-76 are different than the 67-74. It is one of the only rare things about a 74-76. 

They look like the one below (bottom pic). The chrome trim is butchered on mine, and it is NLA.  See Part # 2 below 

If I can go with the OEM look, I was thinking something completely different. 

#SadPuddingDoorCards :) LOL 

image.thumb.png.01352f5530cdb64589c31487614f53a6.png

image.thumb.png.f48b31ac8a1f4b201ed4a19803720f16.png

Part number 2 is available new btw. Just bought a set from WN. I think they are MVP. They look great!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Highnote1 said:

Part number 2 is available new btw. Just bought a set from WN. I think they are MVP. They look great!

OOOOooooooooo.  Do you have a part number?  That would be awesome, and I can ditch the crap speakers. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

4 hours ago, TobyB said:

I think you are overthinking this.

Get some 6mm plywood, cut out the shape, upholster it however you like, and put a good vapor barrier on the door.

I tend to use exposed fasteners, and make sure they look intentional.  That makes things that much easier for mounting.

$150 in materials, a weekend of easy craft project, and move on.  When you decide exactly what you want, and 

find it, then you can sell your homemade ones here for $200 US and make a few dollars for the weekend.

Because the original door cards were a DM50 solution cribbed from VW and not executed all that well.

(it got worse- I still have Jim's 318ti, and THOSE door cards must have been coped from a Ferrari, they're so bad)

Aluminum is not for a street car- every flat, reflective surface will make noise a lot more annoying....

t

DIY and done.

I did the same thing with my VW panels, and they were okay.

Right now, I am getting pretty worn out with this project, and sometimes, you want to buy a solution. 

I am down to bleeding the brakes and removing the A/C compressor, then nut and bolt it before I get it certified. 

#exhausted. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Here the WN link for the full set. You can fish around and get the individual fronts too. Max has em too. 

• Like 1

id pass on the aluminum panel. possibly it would look at home in a cybertruck, but the oem interior door panel is such a critical style element for the car that i would spring for the closest reprod avail. i love looking in through the windscreen and seeing those classic door card details inviting me to take a ride.

however, now that i know they can go on significant discount at wn, i wont be buying them unless they are. 

• Like 1