• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identifying Alternator

Go to solution Solved by John76,

Hey guys,

I have confirmed my alternator is failing and need to replace it. My car has EFI with Megasquirt. Trying to determine which alternator the PO chose to use during the conversion. Can anyone help me out based on these images?

Thanks!

IMG_0030.jpeg

IMG_0031.jpeg

IMG_0033.jpeg

IMG_0029.jpeg

Maybe take a pic of the backside showing the wiring hookups. It’s hard to tell from just the body..

Does it use the OE voltage regulator located on the left sidewall of the engine bay or does it have a built-in VR? If the latter it could be E21..

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

6 minutes ago, visionaut said:

Maybe take a pic of the backside showing the wiring hookups. It’s hard to tell from just the body..

Does it use the OE voltage regulator located on the left sidewall of the engine bay or does it have a built-in VR? If the latter it could be E21..

Thanks for the reply! I forgot to upload photos of the backside, hopefully this helps 

IMG_0031.jpeg

IMG_0024.jpeg

• Solution
2 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Looks like a stock Bosch unit to me.

Me too.

Has the external VR (see wires from 3-prong plug) and a thin divider between the front and rear cases.

Looks like a stock 45A.

Mine looks similar.

Alternator.thumb.JPG.68c02cb4a7d05aa53f0389a54e39822a.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John76 said:

Me too.

Has the external VR (see wires from 3-prong plug) and a thin divider between the front and rear cases.

..."thin divider" = stator (if I recall correctly) - and, yeah, that's one way to help ID the stock unit vs higher-capacity units. -KB

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kbmb02 said:

..."thin divider" = stator (if I recall correctly) - and, yeah, that's one way to help ID the stock unit vs higher-capacity units. -KB

Yes, the higher the amp rating, the more stator discs.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.