• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chocolate for brakes. The Dreaded Pudding Foot.

53 minutes ago, torquewrench80 said:

Lengthen the pushrod a little which will quite effectively shorten the stroke. I did that on my own Tii when I tried DOT 5 brake fluid. Give it a 1/2 a turn, a full turn, maybe more, and see what happens. The brakes may lock the wheels and refuse to unlock until the brakes cool off or you shorten the pushrod again, so bring your wrenches with you on the road test. Sure, the Blue Book gives you an exact measurement, but who says you can't alter it a little? It's adjustable for a reason.

I did try to lengthen the push rod, but it ended up just moving the face of the pedal out. So, adjusting the rod's length didn't work. The slack is not in the pedals; the bushings are tight with no play in them whatsoever, and the pivot by the booster is tight as well.

The only thing I can think of is that the actuator rod that goes through the booster is short.  Why it is short is not known.  Either the casting is incorrect, or the M/C is expecting a longer push rod as it is for a different booster, or the rod /booster has been messed with.  

Any thoughts? 

7 hours ago, popovm said:

Are you gonna try the new tool out first? Wilwoods would be sweet but so would getting the stuff in the car to work. 

I adjusted the parking brake, and it made some difference.   It didn't eliminate the 1" of play at the top, but when I could "feel" the MC being compressed, it brought the pedial up about 1.5 inches.

It kind of feels like it did before I put the new M/C in it (kind of). It has been so long that I can't remember, nor do I have another 02 to compare it to.  I have to take it for a rip around the block to see what they feel like.  That said, I am leaning towards Willwoods on all four corners and call that good enough.  I am so done futzing with the brakes, and if that doesn't work, it is time for another car.  I have always been disappointed by them, and I just want to be able to stop....  really stop. 

I am going to try to get it running tomorrow. I just need to install the radiator, as I removed it to remove the A/C condenser. I also need to nut and bolt the car and flush the fuel lines to remove the debris from when they were made (hopefully, I have the inlet and outlet in the correct position).

I have low expectations, but let's see what happens. You never know.

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

12 hours ago, torquewrench80 said:

Clearance between the brake master cylinder piston and the pushrod should only be 0.5 mm, measured with plastic gauge. It can be corrected with shims behind the mushroom head on the pushrod. 

That was what I was reading.  I will order some shims and have at it when it gets parked for the winter.   I am anxious to get it started today. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002