• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tranny symptoms, can you help diagnose?

When I was about 17 years old we used to pound the trans apart with a rubber mallet, flip the Porsche synchro so second wasn’t as worn and slap them back together with the mallet. No special tools needed. Haha! Talk about primitive. Of course, had one I had to hold in second gear. It dramatically exploded one day while passing a gas truck coming back from surfing.

• Haha 1

...so you just, kinda, tucked the shift linkages back in there with, um, a coathanger or something?

Or was this not a Getrag 232?

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

“Or something.” Haha! Honestly dont remember much, I’m old and it was the70’s. Just rebuild a 232  for my current ride. Replaced the main shaft with a fine spline and new synchros. Bought all the current tools except the puller to press out the main shaft.  A far different experience than small kid days.

Dang.  And you found the parts?

I'm spoiled- when these cars were commonly scrapped around here,

I bought a few basket cases, and took them apart.

So whenever I needed a transmission, I'd just go out to the shed and 

pick one out.

Those days will soon be over, though- the supply's just about exhausted.

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yes, and I remember when Mike Self and I would take part of an afternoon and go to the junk yard that was the repository for a number of old BMW and M-Bs and salvage what we needed. Having fun with a tool box and a wheelbarrow.  But none of those old cars are around, even if us old guys are.

• Like 3