• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The way of the factory Tii fuel lines

I have been digging into this one owner 74 tii I picked up not too long ago. After dealing with the CA DMV and this infernal heat, I finally have had a day to focus on getting it running. 

Long story short I got it to start with gas poured into the plenum and run until out. Actually started quite easily.  

I did however check the fuel system first and it needed major attention. The O-ring for the tank sender was dried-out such that the unit came loose by hand. Peered inside and to my amazement it's like brand new in there. Electric fuel pump was frozen, but managed to free it up and got it working again. ALL the rubber fuel lines were hard as rock. One would imagine for being factory original and 50 years old.  In order to make this a runner, these bits need to be replaced.  As we all know, the OEM stuff like the proper color cloth braided lines and the grooved black rubber, plus the large inner diameter; non reinforced thin walled feed line from the tank to electric pump is NLA.  So new modern rubber it is.  

I took a picture of the engine bay fuel lines to show you guys. One) how the factory lines route, and Two) what the OEM grooved soft lines looked like back in the day. The cloth braided lines is a known look. They run under the car from the pump to the accumulator and across over the diff to the hard line on the chassis. I have replaced the undercarriage braided lines.  I had just enough in my stash. The main feed line though is the new stuff. Was able to reuse all the OEM smooth band clamps.

In the image you can see these OEM lines were made in West Germany, before the wall came down. The real deal. Also notice the fuel filter and pinch clamps. Now for the routing. The longest hose travels from the K-fish back (return line) under the intake runners and serpentines via a clip which holds it to the throttle body upright. The line coming out the top of the fuel filter "loops" up and back to the inlet of the K-fish that gets secured by a metal clip which straddles the two injector lines. Lastly the cold start line travels from the front of the k-fsh at the "V" inlet and snakes past the first intake runner over the "tuna can" to the injector.  

Much of this is known, but here it is in the flesh from when it left Germany.  

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 6

But what do I know

• conkitchen changed the title to The way of the factory Tii fuel lines

I remember when I used to pay to have my car serviced in the mid 80's that I'd get gas filters with the Purolator sticker on them.  Then eventually they switched to Mahle gas filters.  Used to get Purolator red oil filters and tii air filters too.  I'd love to see a picture of the original spark plug wires with the diagnostic plug attached to the valve cover and the extra wire going to spark plug wire #1.  I took those off my '74 tii a loing time ago, but still have them in a box some where.  Also would be interested in seeing what the original '74tii vacuum hose looks like that comes from the plenum over to that '74tii specific air regulator unit that attaches to the air box.

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

7 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I remember when I used to pay to have my car serviced in the mid 80's that I'd get gas filters with the Purolator sticker on them.  Then eventually they switched to Mahle gas filters.  Used to get Purolator red oil filters and tii air filters too.

I have that red oil filter as well since I just did a change. Will keep that with the rest of the museum pieces. 

But what do I know

44 minutes ago, JohnS said:

…I'd love to see a picture of the original spark plug wires with the diagnostic plug attached to the valve cover and the extra wire going to spark plug wire #1…..  Also would be interested in seeing what the original '74tii vacuum hose looks like that comes from the plenum….

It has all that and will get an image up soon. The plug wires are as hard as rock but they work! 

But what do I know

Maybe someone can scan the Purolator/roundel fuel filter label so it could be reproduced & applied to our Mahle filters.  Wouldn't be surprised if they were available somewhere!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif