• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Subtle valve cover differences

Thanks to Tom (@‘76mintgrun02) for finding the 2015 thread. Sadly, it’s much longer than I recalled… 😳

Six pages on valve cover styles? What a bunch of nerds! 🙄😋

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

8 hours ago, bob02 said:

Sure Marty, here you go.

IMG_6870.jpeg

IMG_6871.jpeg

The top cover was cast June 1971 (6 nubs surrounding “71”). I don’t see a date on the bottom cover. Am I missing it? I note that the “casting number” on the bottom cover ends in “6.9” whereas the top cover ends in “7.0”. Does that imply that the bottom cover is an earlier version? Maybe.

Regards,

Steve

2 minutes ago, visionaut said:

My 76 cover has the roundel in the center.

My polished cover has the roundel on the end (with the raised dot cylinder numbers).

But, Tom, I’m obligated to ask: “What are their casting dates?”

Best regards,

Steve

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Conserv said:

ix pages on valve cover styles? What a bunch of nerds! 🙄😋

Glad to see you have finally woke up Steve, we all be nerds here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

14 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Does that imply that the bottom cover is an earlier version? Maybe.

Just looking at the inner structural ribbing differences, I’d say the lower cover was newer. It’s looks to be the more advanced design ( note no stiffening ribs at the front at all, more weighted nodes, ribs not extended to the edges, more complexity in the rib pattern, etc).

<enginerding>

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

1 minute ago, visionaut said:

Just looking at the inner structural ribbing differences, I’d say the lower cover was newer. It’s looks to be the more advanced design ( note no stiffening ribs at the front at all, more weighted nodes, ribs not extended to the edges, more complexity in the rib pattern, etc).

<enginerding>

Geez, Tom,

I was pretty impressed with my “6.9 comes before 7.0” theory…😢

• Haha 1

I have a whole bunch of valve covers in a couple bins somewhere. I need to dig them out and take pictures of all of them anyway, I'll post pictures of both sides of all the different versions I have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the old 6-page thread, I noted that Steve!s spare 76 cover is structural-rib identical to the upper cover here, even though that’s a 71… :(

Methinks there’s gotta be multiple suppliers mixed in along with the years variations.

image.jpeg.cd903c8a24f3acb65b1010a380b542f1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5f5d48359485a2da9cc4147cb036ec3c.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, visionaut said:

Looking at the old 6-page thread, I noted that Steve!s spare 76 cover is structural-rib identical to the upper cover here, even though that’s a 71… :(

Methinks there’s gotta be multiple suppliers mixed in along with the years variations.

image.jpeg.cd903c8a24f3acb65b1010a380b542f1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5f5d48359485a2da9cc4147cb036ec3c.jpeg

+1

And maybe that better explains the lack of a casting date on a few of the ribbed covers: different suppliers.

That un-dated cover also lacks a tiny BMW roundel on the underside. Is that because (a.) some suppliers didn’t add the roundels (used, at some point, to verify factory parts), or (b.) the roundel was only implemented or mandated at some date after it was cast.

I’m guessing “KN” is the manufacturer, or foundry, of the un-dated cover.

The ideal nerd — I mean “meticulous researcher” — for this project would capture all this cast-in data: dates, casting numbers, manufacturers’ marks. 

Denvertii probably has no idea how close he was, given his vast inventory, to becoming the world’s ‘02 valve cover expert! But, oddly, he didn’t appear to have any un-dated examples. Hmm… 🤔

Thanks,

Steve

This thread is so enamored with valve cover designs;  why did BMW have so much webbing cast into the underside of the covers?  I have my guess, how about yours.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

But, oddly, he didn’t appear to have any un-dated examples

Yes he did. His ‘mystery’ cover - which is an E21 “i” cover, had no date.

I’d most like to look at the underside on his ‘all lower case’ zündfolge cover though... He lists the dates for all of them pictured at the top, I wonder if it’s possible to figure out which is which?

+1 for Tom- you gotta keep your rockers basted.  

It's one reason they break at high rpms-

the passive basting system can't keep up much over 6500.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

12 hours ago, Conserv said:

The top cover was cast June 1971 (6 nubs surrounding “71”). I don’t see a date on the bottom cover. Am I missing it? I note that the “casting number” on the bottom cover ends in “6.9” whereas the top cover ends in “7.0”. Does that imply that the bottom cover is an earlier version? Maybe.

Regards,

Steve

Close Steve! That’s the original form my 5/71 production 02. Interesting that the two have different part numbers and the lack of contour to the inner ribs on the mystery valve cover.Now I’m wondering if it will clear the oil spray bar bolt and Hans mentioned! 

Bob

IMG_6872.jpeg

IMG_6873.jpeg

IMG_6875.jpeg

IMG_6874.jpeg

• Thanks 1

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3