• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

507 that will hit the Auction Block next week

• MOJOJOY changed the title to 507 that will hit the Auction Block next week
7 hours ago, steve k. said:

What do we think?

I think it needs the 5speed conversion, a set of recaros and the BBS wheels 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

The 507 was a car that almost sent BMW into bankruptcy. It was designed and built for the elite. But it went grossly over budget and the sales sticker of nearly $11,000 at its introduction reflected this. As a result few were built and sold. Elvis Presley purchased an example in a white color. 

During the late 90s I inspected one at a classic car dealership in Santa Monica, CA. They were asking $65,000 for it. I was surprised by its small size, as I was always under the impression that it was larger than it appeared in person. And, frankly, I wasn't impressed. 

Back then Neu Klasse cars and 2002s were considered as cheap throw away transportation for college students and car enthusiasts and street tuners. The Datsun 510 comes to mind as well. Car collectors would scoff at the notion of owning an 02 or NK car. But, the 507 was always a legitimate "Collectors'" car.  It's only my guess what this car will fetch at auction. Whatever it is, it won't be cheap, as it never was. 

I think the car is an expression of arrogance.

Edited by Zak