• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedal box interest?

If you look at the MVP web site, it looks like they have a reproduction in the works...

Hydrautical?  Is that even a word? 😄

MVPPedalBox.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • Haha 2

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Given MVP's efforts, I'd say the overwhelming answer to your question is, "Yes, we would very much be interested in a good option for pedal box replacements."

Sure as heck know I would...🙂

• Like 1

"When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt."

Ahhh, yes, hydrautics.  I do believe those date back to the days of the overcomplicated bong....

t

supportive of the idea, but already has enough pedal boxes for the time being.

• Haha 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

What would be the features (and why cnc machine).
I know there's a guy in france making pedal boxes with dual master cylinders and a balance bar, but as the balance bar isn't adjustable while driving it's useless as such.
I fitted my pedal box with needle bearings both radial and axial which is a good thing.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 1:27 AM, uai said:

I know there's a guy in france making pedal boxes with dual master cylinders and a balance bar, but as the balance bar isn't adjustable while driving it's useless as such.
I fitted my pedal box with needle bearings both radial and axial which is a good thing.

@uai whats involved in using needle bearings instead of say what IE or Blunt includes in their refresh kits? Links to the bearings you used?

1971 Fjord Blue BMW 2002

1984 Black Mercedes Benz 300TD

I found the IE or blunt kits with miniature roller bearings not suitable. As the Roller bearings are used beyond their allowed capabilities.
I'll use the german terms
So what you'd need is a Passschraube with a precision ground diameter to replace the standard bolt.

NORELEM.DE

Passschrauben mit Ansatz ähnlich ISO 7379 ✓ Versandkostenfreie Lieferung ab 100 € ✓ Höchste Qualität ✓ Sehr hohe Verfügbarkeit ✓ Schnelle Lieferung ✓ Kompetente Beratung ✓ Über 100.000 Normteile ✓ Jetzt zum norelem Shop!

Then a reamer to bring the inner diameter of the pedals to a precise diameter so the needle bearings fit.
I then changed the width of the pedal tubes so the axial needle bearings together with the precision washers fit the box - this allowed to mod the spacing of pedals a little - in my case I moved the brake pedal a little closer to the throttle - have interference with the carpet in mind.
There are some differences in the pedal boxes over the years in my case it was pretty straightforward apart from machining the pedals for the axial bearings. And you won't be able to assemble the thing in the car with the Passchraube.
I haven't go a precise Bill of Material but I dug into my purchases and know what I bought - this is not 1:1 what was used I had some surplus and unsued stuff. And I have the early pedal box without booster.
ISO 7379-12-M10-80
ISO 7379-12-M10-90

4x     Nadelhülse HK1216-2RS von ZEN 12x18x16 mm

4x     AXK1226-A  Axial-Nadelkranz AXK1226-A INA 12x26x2    
8x     AS1226 Axiallagerscheibe AS1226 INA 12x26x1     
4x     LS1226 Laufscheibe LS1226 INA 12x26x2,75

Self locking Nut&Loctite

IMG_4780.jpeg

IMG_3158.JPG

IMG_3159.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

Edited by uai
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, uai said:

I found the IE of blunt kits with miniature roller bearings not suitable. As the Roller bearings are used beyond their allowed capabilities.
I'll use the german terms
So what you'd need is a Passschraube with a precision ground diameter to replace the standard bolt.

NORELEM.DE

Passschrauben mit Ansatz ähnlich ISO 7379 ✓ Versandkostenfreie Lieferung ab 100 € ✓ Höchste Qualität ✓ Sehr hohe Verfügbarkeit ✓ Schnelle Lieferung ✓ Kompetente Beratung ✓ Über 100.000 Normteile ✓ Jetzt zum norelem Shop!

Then a reamer to bring the inner diameter of the pedals to a precise diameter so the needle bearings fit.
I then changed the width of the pedal tubes so the axial needle bearings together with the precision washers foth the cluster - this allowed to mod the spacing of pedals a little - in my case I moved the brake pedal a little closer to the throttle.
There are some differences in the pedal boxes over the years in my case it was pretty straightforward apart from machining the pedals for the axial bearings. And you won't be able to assemble the thing in the car without a somebody helping or taking it out of the car

IMG_4780.jpeg

I cannot describe the feeling of dread that I have as I look down the barrel of having to rebuild my pedal box.  I have been putting it off for years. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Pedal boxes aren't bad.  They DO benefit from occasional maintenance and cleaning.

as the balance bar isn't adjustable while driving it's useless as such.

While I agree that it seems silly to not go the extra few meters and make it on-the-fly adjustable,

I'd much rather race something that was infinitely adjustable rather than not.  Yes, it'd be a time soak to set,

but when you need a bit less rear, it'd still be really nice to come in, adjust, and have it done rather

than be stuck with it.

There's also the 'no brake adjustments are allowed while in the driver's seat' rule in some classes.

and Dang, that's 200% overkill.  I like it.  I personally am not good enough at maintenance to deserve such a thing...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 8/14/2024 at 2:27 AM, uai said:

CNC because everything should be over engineered and overbuilt so I never have to worry about it again! 🤣🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dudeland said:

I cannot describe the feeling of dread that I have as I look down the barrel of having to rebuild my pedal box.  I have been putting it off for years. 

I did my friends about 2 years ago and it wasn’t all that bad tbh. This was before I knew anything about 02s. I made sure I had a diagram off RealOEM and just laid everything out on a bench as I took it apart and cleaned it.

1971 Fjord Blue BMW 2002

1984 Black Mercedes Benz 300TD

The oem set up only lasts for 50 years, lets reengineer the whole thing so it'll last a millennium😎.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

7 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

The oem set up only lasts for 50 years, lets reengineer the whole thing so it'll last a millennium😎.

I hear of lots of DBW chatter for EFI systems. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

12 hours ago, Dudeland said:

I hear of lots of DBW chatter for EFI systems. 

Yessiree bob.  No longer needed.

20240403_152132.jpg

20240816_075649.jpg

20240406_092504.jpg

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.