• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

duel headlights?

well I bit the bullet and now what? I grabbed the last known on Earth(?) nos duel headlight grills and buckets, cause ya know I'm gonna pimp my ride, so I guess I'm looking for 5" headlights and a hint on how to wire them. whose got this set up? hl links? can I powder coat the buckets w/o messing up the adjustments? tia

ps this cult gets weirder every day 

Late Quad Headllight Grilles New (1).jpg

20240709_093040.jpg

hl were not included

Edited by NMDerek
spelling
  • Like 2

• NMDerek changed the title to duel headlights?

Coupla suggestions on the headlight buckets:

1. You'll have to completely dismantle 'em for powder coating.  Better to simply sand the rusty spots and paint with an anti-rust black paint--if indeed they were originally black.  Otherwise, paint 'em silver to mimic the galvanizing if they were so coated.  
  2. replace the screws that hold the headlight retainer rings to the buckets with stainless steel screws.  The're metric, IIRC either 3 x .9 mm or 4 x .9.  Take one to your local hardware store to match up.
  3. lose those plastic covers over the headlight lenses.  You're losing at least 50% of your candlepower through those cloudy lenses.  Unless you drive on gravel roads a lot, you'll lose a lens to a thrown up rock about once every 10-12 years--less if you don't drive the car much.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Jaymic runs them, ping Pete or Fay who own Jaymic, they are very helpful, they just restored their touring which has this setup they may be able to advise.

i think but could be wrong that the lamps are CS lamps? Someone will know.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Coupla suggestions on the headlight buckets:

1. You'll have to completely dismantle 'em for powder coating.  Better to simply sand the rusty spots and paint with an anti-rust black paint--if indeed they were originally black.  Otherwise, paint 'em silver to mimic the galvanizing if they were so coated.  
  2. replace the screws that hold the headlight retainer rings to the buckets with stainless steel screws.  The're metric, IIRC either 3 x .9 mm or 4 x .9.  Take one to your local hardware store to match up.
  3. lose those plastic covers over the headlight lenses.  You're losing at least 50% of your candlepower through those cloudy lenses.  Unless you drive on gravel roads a lot, you'll lose a lens to a thrown up rock about once every 10-12 years--less if you don't drive the car much.

mike

ya the headlights didn't make the trip across the pond, so no film for me. 

• Sad 1

I went with E code Hella's on my E30 back in the day.  I think the outer bulbs are High Low and the inner bulbs are high only, so you get super bright when on high beam. 
You can do worse than get ahold of Susquehanna  (rallylights) for lighting. 
They built a great Relay harness for my 2002 they have a pattern for lengths and could make one for your set up. Also a DIY if you are handy.  

The link to their lighting is here but callingthem is good  to discuss. I am not an LED headlight fan in retro cars, so I stick with the Halogen. 

WWW.RALLYLIGHTS.COM

Light Bulbs, Head lamps, Tail Lamps, Fog Lamps, Driving Lamps, Flood Lights, LED Lamps, HID Lamps, Original Equipment, Warning Lamps

• Like 1

Daniel Stern lighting is another excellent source for lights and harness's and general knowledge on lights and local regulations for them.

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Posted (edited)

Susquehanna  MotorSports had all the answers, the whole set up for around 350 with harness.

if anyone had a pic of the mod to attach them  it'd be much appriciated.

Edited by NMDerek