• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB flywheel, clutch and pressure plate

Price: $100

Description:

I’m at the point of the build where I need the clutch flywheel and pressure plate to balance everything. I’ve been researching the difference between 215 and 228mm and don’t see the difference. I’m building a street driver Can you guys tell me if the 228 is suitable? I passed by LJ Indy today on the way to machine shop and as expected Carl was out and everyone else busy. My transmission is 4 speed for now but surely will be looking for 5spd in the future. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

E30M20 pressure plate or the E30S14

Thanks!

Edited by 858slider

You can go either way, the 228mm will handle more horsepower, but the 215mm components are significantly less expensive.  What size flywheel was/is on your motor?  If you don't have a flywheel, find a used 215mm and have it resurfaced and balanced, (possibly lightened) and then buy the clutch kit for a 215mm flywheel for your 4 speed, (you can also use the clutch and pressure plate from a later BMW 320I and the 215mm throw out bearing for the BMW 2002 4 speed).  If and when you move to a 5 speed, you'll just need to switch out the throw out bearing.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

• 5 weeks later...