• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW replacement turbo oil pressure 40psi maximum

That looks like the correct hose and fittings and the routing looks correct as well.  Pull the boost tube between the turbo and the throttle body and look for signs of oil.  My question is if it is smoking from oil coming from the turbo and going through the engine or is it just leaking oil into the hot side of the turbo.  Make sure the breather hose on the valve cover is not blocked or kinked, take the oil fill cap off and blow some air through the vent hose and see if it flows freely.  It is possible that you have a turbo problem but the fact it was there with the old turbo and did not change with the new one makes be believe it is something else.  

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

What everyone else said....

The bolt at the pan doesn't look stock..... Check to see if it has at least 3 large holes to allow the oil to pass uninhibited.

A picture of the turbine shaft... See that there are 2 "piston ring" seals that prevent oil from entering the turbine housing...... Unless the gaps are aligned... Then you might get oil through.

BTW where did you get the 40psi figure?..... That's at idle for a strong engine! And I don't agree that incoming oil pressure is your problem.

IMG_20240828_120732_875.thumb.jpg.9cc6ba02c291c3f6119e18f03e69461f.jpg

IMG_20240828_120726_882.thumb.jpg.98ad0afde57e73265a80cfef0ece799c.jpg

And another thing....

How many miles are on this rebuild?

Are you SURE the valve stem seals are good? Reference to mention of crankcase pressure previously.

Is there oil residue post turbine, or pre turbine in the manifold?

Have you tested to see if the smoke is not coolant? I say this as most ALL the Turbo engines I know of , if tuned to factory specs, are most certainly running lean under boost, which leads to detonation (which you won't nor cannot hear) possibly cracking the head.

(Ruining your exhaust valves is a whole other matter, which I have done)

Sometimes you're looking for a Zebra and it's a horse......

A third thing

Remove the big nut on the back of the barometric cell on the injection pump.

Look for oil there. If the rear seal on the pump has failed, then a pool of oil will be there, and can be sucked into the boost/ vacuum hose system and then into the intake side causing smoke. A failure here, with enough oil, may also cause the cell to hydro lock, and your pumps ability to enrich the mixture will cease, causing a massive lean condition under boost. Also, if the bore is worn, then the piston will not move smoothly as it's just an aluminum bore with an aluminum piston. If so it can be rectified, but it's a tedious process.

Most "re builders" don't know how , nor know that you must check this.

Thanks for all the information! The engine was completely rebuilt with new OEM parts from Korman less than 1500 miles ago.   Dyno’ed by them to avoid lean condition.  Car is rich.  BMW Classic in Munich told us to limit oil pressure to the turbo to 40psi.   I will check all of the possibilities. I brought the car home 45 miles with the Oldenzaal turbo in it and there is no smoke. I smell a little bit of oil though.  Definitely oil not coolant, as it has never consumed coolant and there is oil on the rear of the car on any type of drive more than 10 miles.