• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 tii air conditioning crank pulley metal fabricating?

Go to solution Solved by kbmb02,

well this unicorn seems to be beyond elusive, thoughts on getting those made in the new metal fabricators, god what would we have to raise money wise?

and we'd probably need a perfect donor.  12 guys at $500 for a run of 12 ? or am I just dreaming, wake me up if I am. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Highnote1 said:

Just checked. 350.00 from them. 

and thats why I was wondering if a group wants to unretire the part from the new NLA pile. might be worthy of the resurrection, I'd sponsor as much as possible for future generations.

Edited by NMDerek
spelling

I've got a non-tii one with a chip that I welded up. Would just need a quick trip on a lathe to be serviceable again. Make an offer, glad to sell for beer money plus shipping. 

Edited by wmax351

8 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

Sounds good, let me find it..... today.

My box is supposedly full, I deleted several messages but it took won't let me pm you.

pic when u can, ty

I looked and looked...... Sorry no joy.

I did find many other things that I have and have purchased and didn't know I had..... I really need to consolidate all those altitude compensator filters in one bin......

I even found Waldo!

2 hours ago, NMDerek said:

The unicorn still lives. Does anyone know someone who could recommend or has used a metal fabricator? 

PS Tell Waldo hi for me.

Find an old machinist with a metal lathe and plenty of time to mess around with it.

Part of what is working against you is that it's hard to tell what you are looking for,
EVEN THOUGH

we're all pretty familiar with these cars. 

Unicorns pop up all over the place these days,

tii pulleys in good shape with an air conditioning sheave are getting hard to find.

If you want a metal part made, the place to start is with a good- quality sketch with all of the surfaces dimensioned.

And all of the tolerances called out.  The ID of the crank mating face needs to be within a couple of tenths,

but the sheave width and diameter can be +- 0.010, easily.  Concentricity matters, diameter's not critical.

In the specific case of the tii crank pulley, your best bet would be

to start with the KFish drive belt cogged sprocket, 

as that's 

a- not lathe work and 

b- possibly available as a pre- made part.  If it is, presenting that as a 'this part goes here' note will make

the whole project a lot more palatable to a machinist.

From there, yes, a 'billet' of metal can be turned on a lathe using pretty standard tools

to form the shapes you'll need.  

The final broaching to cut the keyway is the only non- lathe step left.

'Metal fabricator' is also too broad a term. 

You're looking for a machine shop that does 

low- volume custom lathe work in steel,

ideally one that will be willing to do small runs as you order them.

It's not beyond the ability of 'some guy in his back shed,' IF you can find that KFish pulley.

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL