• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 tii air conditioning crank pulley metal fabricating?

Go to solution Solved by kbmb02,

6 hours ago, Einspritz said:

really need to consolidate all those altitude compensator filters

I'd like to buy one of those filters, my compensator wears a modern filter currently.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

What is the measurements of the kfish pulley? Teeth, width, diameter? That's the really critical part. 

You could make a sandwich type assembly that bolts together, so you could have the cogged pulley made separately, which would be a lot easier. The AC pulley and crank nose seal part is straightforward machining anyone can do on a lathe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wmax351 said:

What is the measurements of the kfish pulley? Teeth, width, diameter? That's the really critical part. 

You could make a sandwich type assembly that bolts together, so you could have the cogged pulley made separately, which would be a lot easier. The AC pulley and crank nose seal part is straightforward machining anyone can do on a lathe. 

I was thinking that too. On another pic it looked like they did that. The cog would be difficult. Has anybody tried 3d print abs? You could maybe 3d print and then sand cast. Or forged carbon and 3d print the mold.

Edited by Arman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Arman said:

I was thinking that too. On another pic it looked like they did that. The cog would be difficult. Has anybody tried abs?

I guess it's not a *valve* timing belt, so it wouldn't be catastrophic if it failed 

It would certainly work for a mockup. For the real deal, you'd probably want acetal/delrin. 

In terms of machining the cog, you'd just need a gear cutting setup and it would be straightforward. 

What would make it simpler is if it could be designed to where the cog pulley is flat, and then you could cut it from flat stock with laser or EDM. 

If I had some rough dimensions I could make it in cad 3d print and then try sand casting. How thick would the cog have to be? You could maybe have sendcutsend cut it out. 

• Like 1

Watching this thread I am wondering could you not add a pulley in front of the crank pulley, essentially doubling up. Plenty of aftermarket pulleys around, could be installed with longer bolts and a short spacer. And I think there are double v belt pulleys that can be made to work.

I am sure the clearance to the fan would be a concern. But an electric fan could solve that. And the compressor would need to be moved forward to align.

For that matter could a serpentine belt situation be made to work? Put an older and the compressor in the same plane as the crank pulley. Run everything on one belt?

Just a thought if the ac tii hub is so hard to find.

Edited by gambitpaul
  • Like 2

Project: 1974 BMW 2002 tii Malaga

Daily: 2006 BMW 330Ci

10 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

The tii hub can be found, it's the one that includes the a/c  that's really tough to find.

Meant to say "ac tii hub"

Edited my previous

• Like 1

Project: 1974 BMW 2002 tii Malaga

Daily: 2006 BMW 330Ci